Standard Introductions

"So..." Roy droned, standing awkwardly over her desk. "Imogene. Tell us about yourself."

She clutched her tea tightly, attempting to warm her innately cold hands. "What do you want to know?"

"When do we get to see your Synapse CB-295Y?" Moss asked.

She smiled. "Sometime soon, I hope. I miss it so much."

Jen, who was back from pouting in the office, snorted playfully and stirred her tea with a spoon. "How can you miss a computer?"

"Jaggers and I do everything together!" Imogene explained. "We design software programs, video games, websites. I write all of my fanfiction on him. He's my best friend in the whole wide world! I don't know what I'd do without him. I barely know what I'm doing now!"

"Did you say you write fanfiction?" Moss asked.

"Bloody hell," Jen mumbled.

"Yes!" Imogene cried. "Well, just one right now. I mostly write poetry and short stories; I could never write a novel. Actually, I guess you could say AYDLI is a novel, but I mean fiction novels. I could never get the hand of writing those. They're so long."

"Wait one second," Moss interjected. "Did you just say AYDLI?"

Imogene blushed a little. "Yeah, why?"

Moss gasped, his cheeks puffing out and his eyes moving out all over the place. "WHAT?"

"What's AY...?" Roy asked.

"Only the greatest Marvel fanfiction on the face of the Earth!" Moss said excitedly. "So that means you're—"

"Anderstan283!" Imogene started jumping up and down slightly in her seat, and some of her tea sloshed into her lap that she didn't notice. "I can't believe you read my fic!"

"I can't believe I'm meeting a real life celebrity! Can we keep her, Roy? She's a celebrity!"

"We were going to keep her anyway," Roy scoffed.

Imogene was still bouncing, and her eyes were wide. "Are you a FanHubber too? What's your username?"

"StephenKennel81. Chairman Wow, I can't believe I'm meeting one of my favorite authors!"

"I can't believe I'm meeting one of my readers! I didn't think anyone read my fic. And wait—if you're Stephen Kennel, then you're the one who's been leaving me all those nice comments, aren't you? Oh, I've always wanted to meet you. You seem like such a sweetheart!"

"Thank you."

"Wait a second," Roy butted in. "What are you two talking about? Did you say you're a writer on FanHub?"

Jen perked up. "Wait a second...isn't FanHub the website with all the gay porn on it?"

"All the gay fan porn," Imogene corrected.

"But also intellectual pieces," Moss added. "Some introspective, some political, others more poetic. I once found a Fantastic Four fanfiction written entirely in verse."

"Ooh!" Roy exclaimed. "That sounds good. Would you send it to me?"

"Of course. Now, just so you are aware, the spelling and grammar isn't that great, which really threw me off at first, although as I read I began to see how it adds a sort of visual element to the page. The out-of-place periods are almost a metaphor for the complex and spontaneous life of a mutant superhero."

"Kind of like E.E. Cummings?" Imogene suggested.

"Nope. Don't know who that is."

"But what's your fanfiction about?" Jen asked Imogene. "It isn't gay, is it?"