{Three}

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song-----------------}

{Three}

I look like hell.

My ivy green eyes are half lidded and there’s still some crust in the corners of them. Usually, when I’m not doing my best morning zombie impression, their large and doe eyed but right now they look like I’m planning something suspicious. My short pixie cut brown hair is all over the place making me look like a cockatoo and my oversized navy blue t-shirt is hanging off my shoulder exposing the nasty looking bite marks from the attack, which are mostly healed.

I grimace at the sight before me.

Yeah, definitely look like hell.

Squirting some toothpaste on my purple toothbrush I turn on the running water and dip the brush in before making it do its job. As I brush I think about how I’m going to convince Gavin to let me drive into town. I need new clothes and since I’ve been financially in a rock and a hard place these days my clothes are not in the best shape. Luckily my grandmother, god rest her bones, was kind enough to set me up with a trust fund that kicked in just last month, when I turned twenty-one.

So yeah, I really need to go into town.

Especially since asking Gavin to get me…lady products, doesn’t sound appealing. I snort out a laugh at the look I imagine his face if I did. Oh my land, it’s almost worth doing just to see that look in the flesh. Spitting out the toothpaste I rinse out my mouth and put my toothbrush away before washing my face. I raise my eyes to look at my reflection again. My hair is still atrocious but it’s nothing a hat won’t fix. I skip the makeup routine today and shove on my outfit.

Since it’s fall bordering on winter I decide on a simple jeans and my ‘IF WE WERE RUNNING FROM ZOMBIES I’D TRIP YOU’ shirt. I hobble out of the bathroom and make it to the kitchen before I have my eyes assaulted with two, yes two, shirtless men. Sounds great right? Yeah, well not when one is your brother and the other your brother from another mother.

Ew.

“What are you doing up and dressed?” Gavin asks with a disapproving scowl.

I roll my eyes, “I can’t laze around all the time, Gav. Besides, I need to go into town.”

“That’s not going to happen, Sis.”

“Gavin.” I snarl.

Sid’s blue eyes are flipping between the two of us like this is a tennis match. Yeah, well I guess it kind of is. Stubbornness is a trait both Gavin and I have in spades. Shit, when we were younger we used to get into full on physical fights until he gave me a black eye and mom put that to a stop. Oh man, did I get him back for ruining my sixth grade picture day. I’m surprised he’s still not itching from that debacle.

“What, my dear loving sister?” Gavin provokes with a smirk.

I smile sweetly making his smirk waver, “Do you honestly think you can tell what to do…ever? Because I think we both know how that turned out last time.”

“You wouldn’t.”

I grin evilly, “I would.”

“What?” Sid asks totally confused.

“When my senior prom came up I had a date—“

“An asshole, you mean.” Gavin cut in.

I roll my eyes, continuing, “That Gavin didn’t approve of so he forbade me from going to my own senior prom. He threatened my date with mortal injury and even threw all my underwear into the tree in the front yard until I agreed not to go.”