{Fourteen}

© Amber Kalkes 2014

 Song------------------------}

{Fourteen}

I tilted my head to the side as I looked up at the neon sign standing proud in the blackened sky. The bright pink blubs flicker a bit as I watch them while yawning loudly into the sleeve of my hoodie. Tyler and Gavin are inside the front office of this motel charmingly called ‘The Tattered Wagon Inn’ wagon logo included, getting us rooms.

Me? I’m just enjoying the scenery.

Suddenly I feel my legs be knocked out from under me only to be caught before I fall to the ground. Looking up with wide eyes I meet the chocolate brown orbs of a grinning but decidedly tired look Tyler. He nuzzles my neck with his nose before inhaling my scent. I make a note to ask him what I smell like later.

“What was that for?” I ask with a fake pout, even crossing my arms over my chest.

He shrugs with a smirk, “You looked a bit dead on your feet, Babe. I’d hate to have you fall asleep on the curb on my watch.”

“How gentlemanly of you.” I yawn.

He chuckles and kisses my lips lightly, “Come on, Babe, lets get you to bed.”

“Yeah lets do that.” Gavin says with a mocking nod, “In my room.”

“Gavin.” I sigh.

He shakes his head, “Janey, I’m not allowing you to—“

“I’m twenty-one!” I yell wiggling out of Tyler’s arms. “I don’t need a fucking father or a fucking chaperone, Gav! I’m a grown woman and if I want to fucking stay the night with my boyfriend I damn well will!”

With that being said I yank the motel room key from Tyler’s hand and stomp away muttering a string of obscenities to myself mostly having to do with my brother and shoving something up his ass. Call me a drama queen but his overbearing attitude has stomped on my last nerve. Not to mention a tired Jane is not a happy Jane.

I’m about half way up the stairs leading up to the second floor rooms when swiftly someone grabs my upper arm and pulls me into their chest. I don’t feel tingles while the scent barely and mint assaults my nose so I know its just Gavin. His arms wrap around me as he pulls me tightly against his chest so my nose is digging into the middle of his chest.

“I’m sorry.” He sighs, placing his chin on the top of my head. “I just…it’s hard knowing your growing up and things with Tyler seem really serious. I guess I’m just scared I’m going to lose you.”

Feeling myself give in despite my best efforts I give in and wrap my arms around him clinging to the back of his jacket a bit. “You won’t lose me, Gavin but you need to back off. I’ll make my own mistakes and maybe I’ll learn from them or maybe I won’t but either way it’s my life.”

“I know that but I’m your big brother. I’m supposed to protect you.” He sighs, “Though I admit with you being a mythical creature you don’t make it easy.”

I let out a watery chuckle, “Yeah but I make it look good.”

“Of course you do, we’re related.”

I wipe my cheeks of a few traitor tears that fall from my eyes before yawning again, loudly. “Shit, Tyler’s right I am dead on my feet.”

Gavin pulls back and ruffles my hair, “Get to bed, okay?”

“Yeah.” I mutter with a nod. “Night, Gavin.”

“Night Janey.” He says with a smirk and a wave. “Oh and Jane?”