Ch.4 - Upside Down

BELLA'S P.O.V

- I think it's time to tell somebody - he almost whispered.

The look on his face was sad. After he calmed himself, he started to talk.

- You may have heard of my parents.

- Yeah.. They're pretty famous and almost everyone in town knows them,- i furrowed my eyebrows a bit, trying to understand what they had to do with this.

- Yeah, well... they might look like the perfect couple, but they really aren't - he spilled quickly, barely making out the words.

- They fought almost every
single . day, - he stopped a bit, as he was gathering all his forces ,- My big sister used to hide me in my bedroom so I wouldn't listen, but that worked only for a few years. Year by year, the situation became worse and worse. My sister was 18 when she left us, but she promised she'd be back for me... to take me with her when i was big enough... She promised ,- he whispered the last words, as his head lowered.

Silence ensued and then he began again.

- After my sister left, they got so mad. My dad started beating me every fucking night. It was harsh. That's why I have many bruises. Remember? You asked me about it once. 

I nodded, trying to keep calm. How did no one know about this?!

- After 2 more years of misery, I learned the truth behind all of this. Their marriage was fake.. ,- he panted,-  They only got married to get more money. Can you believe it? For money! - he said in an ironic tone, almost laughing ,- Then, my mom got pregnant with Sarah. Their manager told them that this was wonderful publicity for them. This made them want more of what they had.

After 5 years, they gave birth to me. The rest of the story you already kinda know. I started acting like the tough one. It was my cover. Making everyone's life miserable made me feel a little bit better. Why should I be the only one who suffered?.. And then I started drinking ,-he said and a tear appeared on his face. He immediately hid it.

I tried to open my mouth and say something, but then I realized that there was nothing to say at all.

- I swear! I swear I tried to stop what happened yesterday, for your sake, but anger beat me again. 

'For me?! What does he mean by that?' No time to ask him. He's confused enough.

- Did she came back? - I had to ask, even though I'm sure of the answer.

- No! But I'm going to find her! I want to know what happened to the promise she gave me - he said and his eyes flashed. I've never seen him so devastated.

- Everything's gonna be alright! - I said.

- But it won't - he said and got up from his seat.

I got up and came near him. I stuck out my little finger.

- I pinky promise you!

Finally a smile appeared on his face. His eyes took a different color. A warm one.

It didn't take him long, before he took a nap in the couch as I went in my bedroom. I laid on my bed and started thinking about all of this.

I can't imagine a life like this.

Parents who want you just for money.

No love. 

No goodnight kisses. 

No one to hug when you've been hurt. 

No one to offer a shoulder to cry on. 

Just A Deep Empty Dark Space.

No wonder he became the badass that everyone knew at school. I've almost forgotten the bad Cameron. The one who used to prank all the teachers. The one who beat every nerd at school. The one who made up and broke up with a different girl every 5 minutes.

I've always seen the best of him, though. When he was the 'good guy'. It was like a part-time job. The Cameron who helped old ladies carry their groceries in the streets. The Cameron who used to make kids laugh. I rarely crossed roads with him, but when I did, I always found him smiling. Not that evil smirk he wore at school, but the one he felt with all his heart. A real, genuine smile.

It's weird how something can make a person change. It seems as though helping others made him happy. I know that feeling. 

Just seeing someone smile, it warms your heart. No matter how sad you are, that smile will light up your world, your everything...