Fifteen

We traveled the midwest, dad was still sick and couldn't play, but was getting better, so I was filling in. Don't get me wrong, playing shows are fun, but it can drain the life out of you. I was a walking corpse the entire week, until I heard some news. We were in Minnesota.
"Hey, Panic! at the Disco is joining us in a few days, in Iowa." Tyler told me at sound check. I whirlled around and stared at him with wide eyes. "You heard me." He smiled. I cheered.
'Does that mean I get to meet Dace?' I asked. Dace was Brendons adopted daughter, he adopted her a few weeks before Josh adopted me.
"Yup, and the guys too." I did a tiny celebration up on the set right then and there.

*a few days later*

We walked into the venue and I instantly heard the distant sound of people messing around on instruments. I looked to dad who was well enough to move around and stuff.
"Yes, you can go say hello." He laughed. As soon as the words left his mouth I bolted. I ran through the many halls, twisting and turning when the signs told me too. I eventually reached the off-stage and took deep breaths. I slowly approached them. Dallon was fiddling with something on his bass, Dan was tuning his set, and Kenny was laughing with Brendon about something. I couldn't clear my throat so I just awkwardly walked onto the stage and clapped my hands. They all looked up or away from what they were doing and at me. Confusion swept across their faces like a hurricane but then was replaced by realization. Brendon ran up to me like a cheetah on coffee and picked me up.
"You're Josh's kid, right?" He asked me. I nodded. "Well, you're mine now." He said before throwing me over his shoulders. I hit his back and kicked his stomach in protest.
"Put the poor child down, Bren, she's just met you." Dallon piped up.
"And what if I don't?" He questioned. I looked up at Dan and Kenny who were just standing by. I deadpanned and signed,
'I will smite him if he doesn't put me down.' Dan burst out laughing. Brendon turned around so he was facing Dan.
"What's so funny?" Asked Brendon. I mouthed 'help me' to Dallon. He nodded before walking over and prying me off Brendons shoulders. Brendon whipped around so fast that I almost hit him in the face with my foot. Dallon set me down on the ground.
'Thank you Dallon.' I thanked him.
"You're very welcome." He said with a smile. I then looked around, seeing everyone, but Dace. I turned to Brendon.
'If you don't mind me asking, where's Dace?' I asked politely.
"I honestly haven't got a clue, she should've been here not long ago." Thud.
We all turned to see Dace Urie, lying face-first into the ground with a guitar in hand. I burst out laughing, and so did everyone else, including Dace herself.  She got up and dusted herself off, then looked up and at me.
"Damn, did I miss the meet-and-greet?" She asked, straightening out her hat.
"Yeah." Said Kenny.
"Fuck it, I'm here now." She said before walking over to me and sticking her hand out. "Dace Urie, nice to meet you." I nodded.
'Likewise, I'm Zinc Dun, but you can call me Z.' I signed with a pleasant smile. I took the time to examine her features. Her hair was dark red, her eyes were a light shade of green, almost lime colored. She wore a black and gold wide brimmed hat. I could tell she was doing the same for me.
"Would you like to join us for soundcheck?" Asked Dace.
'No, thats alright, I'll just watch.' I insisted.
So I did. I sat on the edge of the stage and faced them, about three quarters of the way through, though, I had to go get dressed.
I decided on all black, for my mom and brother, I was in Iowa after all. But instead of doing my normal eyeliner, I did something else. I took the black body-paint and painted three simple lines on my arm. Then I took the eyeliner and drew on a single tear by my eye. I pulled up my bandanna and walked out of my room and through the winding halls.
I got to the stage and saw that our stuff had already been moved for us, Panic!s stuff at the edge of the stage so they could easily switch the equipment. I climbed onto the set before catching the eye of a certain five on the floor. I smiled and waved, then Dace called out, "Play something!" And it was further echoed by the emptiness of the room, but I heard everyone else agree. I shrugged before walking to the tech guy on set.
'Is it okay if I hook up my phone for just a few minutes?' I asked. He briefly nodded before handing me chord that I plugged into my phone. I pressed play on a button and the backtrack for LA Devotee starts to play, and so do I. I looked up once during the break to see them all staring at me in awe. I giggled before continuing.
I finished and breathed in and out, taking in the cool oxygen. I swiftly climbed down off the set and removed my phone to whatever system it was plugged into and walked towards the edge of the stage where Panic! Had gathered.
'Well, what did ya' think?' I asked nervously. The guys opened their jaws but nothing came out, then Dan spoke up.
"It was surreal, unbelievable."
"You were moving so swiftly, it was like a bird flying through the sky." Dace chimed in. I blushed at her complement.
'I guess that means you all liked it.' I stated.
"Like is an understatement, Z, a huge understatement." Dace shook her head. I smiled.