Chapter 4

Merlin's POV

"MERLIN!?" I jumped at the sound of the king calling for me. This was strange, he never needed me anymore, he never did anything. But I hurried along, frantically brushing the tears from my face. I still can't believe what I just admitted to Gaius. I know that he won't judge me for it, but I just admitted that I'm in love with someone completely out of my league.

I burst through the doors of the kings room and saw him look up at me with a strange glint in his eye. He smirked, causing the breath to catch in my throat and my heart beat faster.

"What can I do for you sire?" I asked, catching my breath from the running, but loosing it again as he stood, his chest was bare and his muscles moved under his slightly tanned skin.

"First, don't call me 'sire' Merlin. You are my friend, therefore you shall call me by my name. And you are actually superior to me, so technically I should be the one bowing to you. But anyway, get me dressed in my formal clothes. I will be making a speech," he exclaimed, smiling brightly at the last sentence. He was making a speech though, I was confused to where he found this motivation, but happy that he is finally returning to the king he was. I grinned and began to dress him, making small talk as I did so.

Finally, he was ready and standing on the balcony looking down on the whole of Camelot as the people's king. I stood proudly beside him, wondering what he had to say.

"People of Camelot. I have much to say to you all. And much to change for the better. First I want to say how I am sorry. I am sorry that I haven't been for you all for this past week. I have abandoned my duties to grieve over my queen and sir Gwaine, both of which were loved and will be missed dearly. But they have gone and I will let the past be the past and so should you all. However, this I do not want you to forget- the reason I am still alive." I looked up at Arthur, shocked. What was he going to say? "I should have died that day of the battle. Mordred's sword was forged in drangons breath and it should have killed me in days, but my faithful manservant and friend, Merlin, he carried me for miles just to save me. All alone, he didn't have to, and he, against all odds, saved my life and I will forever be in his debt and I am the luckiest king alive to have him as a servant.

"But this is not the first time he has saved me. Since the day we met, Merlin has been saving my life and never once asked for credit. He is twice the man I'll ever be.

"So I have decided on a new rule. Something my late father, Uther, will not approve of, but I want to bring magic back to Camelot! I have no reason to hate sorcerers as they are human and there are good and bad sorcerers. Sorcery is allowed as long as it is only used for good and never evil. I want you to know that magic has saved my life and all of yours more times than any of you will imagine.

"You are probably still confused as to how Merlin has kept me alive for so long, well this is the reason: he is the greatest sorcerer who has ever walked the earth and he has used his magic for me and for you. He is a hero and none of you should be bowing down to me or any other king, because Merlin is the true hero, a true friend and he is the bravest, greatest, most loyal and kindest man I'll ever know."

---

That was a long Arthur speech, sorry :/ I know that barely anyone is reading this, but I'll probably carry on writing because I have nothing better to do with my life.