Chapter 8

Frank

Today I learned something.

Portals are definitely not my thing.

It's somewhat ironic that I can fly around as a dragon, doing multiple turns and tricks, but can't stand being thrown off my feet and whirled around in a portal. Magnus said the first time was always the worst, and that applied to everything - first dates, first parties, first alcohol ....

I wasn't planning on drinking anyway. Grandmother would've cut me a head shorter if I did.
We were waiting for Neleon to arrive. It was already dawn.

Clary

No one dared even spark a word, when Neleon arrived with Simon in his arms.

"The baby", Neleon said.

Reyna smiled. "Of course."

She approached him with Max. "Fist the Shadowhunter, then the child."

"How do I know you won't betray me?"

"You can kill the boy if you want to. He's vurnable and we won't be able to protect both him and the child at once."

I flinched. She was doing a good job at this.

The slime monster nodded, and released Simon. I wanted to run to him, but I couldn't. It wasn't part of the plan. And as much as I wanted to, I wasn't allowed to break the rules in this situation.

+three hours earlier+

We were sitting in Magnus and Alec's flat, talking about a way to release Simon.

It was not going well - we had no ideas whatsoever.

"There must be a reason Neleon wants the baby dead", Annabeth mumbled.
"Yes, but what sense does that make? What kind of Warlock is Max?", Reyna replied, "where did you find him?"

Alec explained how they - or rather Simon and his friends - found Max in front of the Shadowhunter academy.

Reyna frowned. "That doesn't really help me - it only tells us that his mother must have been a Shadowhunter or a mortal with knowledge of the hidden world, since she left Max in front of the Shadow hunters next generation. Maybe we should contact her."

"How would contacting a mother that abandoned her child help?", I asked.

"She may know about Max' powers. Some things get revealed at birth, or shortly after."

Annabeth nodded. "Could be worth a try. If we're lucky, some god appeared at his birth and told the mother of his powers.. or even better : his future."

After discussing other possibilities and ways to save Simon, we ended up settling down on Annabeths and Reynas idea. There was just on problem : we had no informations about the mother, which meant we couldn't find her.

"There has to be something.", I said. "We managed to find a giant slime monster, so finding Max' mother shouldn't be that big of a problem." We couldn't just leave Simon hanging. We had to find something.

But we still couldn't find a clue about Max' mother.

"Tell me exactly what it was like finding him.", Reyna said, while twirling a small dagger.

"I don't see how that is going to help, Praetora. We already told you how we found him.", Jace spat.

Reyna started twirling the dagger double as fast. "Use your brain, Shadowhunter. I am not wasting time with thoughts that are no use. My camp is going to be attacked if we can't find the monster, so you're not the only one that will lose someone if this does not work."