Chapter 1

Read a few EO fanfics and played the game, so I thought I’d try writing a story. I genderbent the orange-haired male medic from the classic version. Why? Because I wanted to. Besides, after reading a certain story I became obsessed with this character. Also, tell me if you want to see romance between Highalnder and genderbent!Medic. There will be some moments between them, but let me know if you want them to get together as a couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarrett sighed as he holstered his harpoon onto his shoulder, trying his best to block out the bickering of his teammate and pay attention to the sounds and noises of the third floor of the Yggdrasil. He was still on edge after barely escaping those murderous Reaping Shades.

“Where’s that mining spot already?” Arthur whined as he dragged his feet against the ground. “This is getting boring!”

Simon sighed with exasperation. “Your whining is not helping,” he scolded.

“Think of it as training,” Ricky tried to pacify. “Mr Merchant will be so happy when he tell him where to find a mining spot.”

“He might even buy us a round of drinks,” Raquna grinned.

A shiver racing down Jarrett’s spine caused him to come to ab abrupt stop, his body tensing. As a highlander, his primal skills were more refined than others. He was able to sense the presence of nearby monsters. “Something’s coming,” he hissed, his eyes narrowing.

“Eek!” Ricky suddenly shrieked. “It’s behind us!”

Spinning around, a curse tumbled from Jarrett’s lips as he reached for his weapon and tried to push himself between the back fighters and the black and white monkey that was charging toward them. It was a Zebratherium, dangerous and powerful. The last thing they needed to be ambushed by!

“Shit.” He wasn’t going to make it.

But before Jarrett could reach Arthur and Ricky, someone else did. Someone, who appeared male with orange-haired pulled back into a small ponytail, suddenly moved in front of Ricky and Arthur. By his side was a katana in a black sheath.

A split second later, the katana was out of its sheath and resting by his side. The Zebratherium came to an abrupt stop, towering over the mysterious, katana wielding young man. Then a small amount of blood spurted from the Zebratherium’s neck. But it was not a huge amount. So the beast did not suffer from a cut to the throat, but by something else. For a few seconds, the Zebratherium did not move but then it started to tilt to the left before crashing to the ground in an unmoving heap.

Sheathing his katana, the young man stood up straight and used his hand to push back strands of orange hair that fell over violet eyes. The white coat and orange bag gave him the appearance of a medic. But the katana by his side also stated that he had some ronin skills. An odd combination.

Slowly, the medic turned toward them. His wide violet eyes held a sense of coolness as he looked them over, as if studying them.

Sensing no threat from the man in front of them, Jarrett relaxed and holstered his harpoon. As did everyone else. They approached the man to offer their thanks.

Turning her attention to the unknown man, Ricky beamed at him with gratitude. “Thank you for helping us!”

“Whew, that was close,” Arthur said, his shoulders sagging with relief. “We managed to avoid the Reaping Shades. How embarrassing would it be if we were taken out by a Zebratherium?”

The medic glanced at Ricky before shrugging. “I was just passing by,” he said, his voice surprisingly light and somewhat girly.

Shocked by his voice, Jarrett found himself studying him a little harder. The more that Jarrett looked at him, the more he felt that there was something odd about him. He had a surprisingly slender frame and large eyes with thick lashes. Despite the large, baggy blue shirt and black pants, Jarrett could see that he had muscles, but they weren’t well defined. He had a somewhat feminine feel to him.