Chapter 7

I’ve made an account on Fanfiction.Net to upload this story. Maybe a couple of others, but mostly this one as I have a couple of ideas for more Etrian Odyssey stories which I would like to attempt sometime in the future. Mostly Jarrett/Galyn stories. Don’t worry, I’ll be uploading them here as well, so you won’t miss anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarrett rested against the bar as he waited for the drinks he had ordered. Galyn and Simon had spent the last couple of days checking and double checking the patient reports. And what Jarrett had heard from their mumblings, they weren’t at all pleased with what they were reading. They were also starting to draw some conclusions.

After being holed up in the Mansion for a while, Raquna insisted that everyone spend a few hours at the pub. The new surroundings, she insisted, would refresh them and give them new way of thinking.

Of course, no one believed her. They all knew that Raquna simply wanted to get drunk.

Still, getting the two dedicated medics out of the Mansion was a good idea. Despite Galyn’s protests, Ricky had insisted that she join them at the pub for a drink or two. Currently, the katana wielding medic was experiencing a more than slightly inebriated Raquna.

Glancing over his shoulder, Jarrett bit back a smirk when Raquna unexpectedly threw her arms around Galyn, the orange-haired floundering in an adorably embarrassed manner. She looked so shocked and bewildered, not entirely sure what to make of Raquna’s overly friendly manner or the way the other members of Jarrett’s guild seemed to be regarding her as one of their own.

“Jarrett.”

Turning his attention to his other side, Jarrett narrowed his eyes when he realised that the person trying to get his attention was Mira. Behind her he could see several of her admirers glaring at him with distain.

And with warning. ‘Don’t you dare hurt Mira’ they were silently telling him.

“What?” Jarrett asked tersely, not remotely intimidated by Mira’s groupies.

With her back toward her admirers, Mira’s sweet-as-candy facade dimmed as she glared at him for being rude. She, however, soon fluttered her blue eyes at him as she leaned toward him, her hands clutched against her chest in prayer.

“You should stay away from Galyn,” Mira said as she lowered her voice into a sweet whisper. “She's what you would call rather strange. She's a girl, but dresses as a guy.”

Jarrett rose an eyebrow as he leaned against the bar. “There isn't a law against that.”

Mira reeled back in surprise and straightened her posture. “But isn't that really odd?” she questioned as she frowned at him.

“Not at all.” Jarrett continued to give Mira a purely unamused and sceptical look.

Odd? A woman choosing to wear men’s clothing wasn’t odd. Now boulders coming to life to mow you down was odd. Large praying mantis threatening you with their pincers was odd. Getting ambushed and nearly wiped out by pretty purple butterflies was odd. In fact, compared to a lot of things and people that Jarrett had seen and met so far, Galyn was normal.

Mira opened and closed her mouth in a shocked manner. She snapped her mouth her shut and gave a forced and strained smile. “...Well, it's nice to see that you're so accepting,” she managed to bite out, sounding as if she was speaking through gritted teeth. It seemed that she was having a hard time keeping up her oh-so precious appearance.

“You really shouldn't talk about people behind their backs,” Jarrett couldn’t help but chide.

For a brief moment Mira looked utterly appalled that Jarrett dared to point out a fault. She clenched her hands tightly into fists and looked sorely tempted to lash out and slap him. But instead, she managed to compose herself, straightening her posture and brushing back her luxurious hair.