Chapter 5

Even though they had defeated Fenrir and its wolf pack, Jarrett wanted to spend more time investigating the first stratum before they move onto the second. They had stepped foot onto the sixth floor and activated the Geomagnetic Pole, but after getting a look at the F.O.Es that wander that floor and they decide that a bit more training would be beneficial.

Walking around on the third floor, steering well clear of the Reaping Shades and the Boulder Boars, Jarrett couldn’t help but let his mind wander back to his solo adventure. What kind of stones was Mira collecting and why? And what does Galyn know?

“It’s Galyn!” Ricky suddenly yelled as she dashed away. “She’s hurt!”

Pulled from his thoughts, Jarrett turned to see Galyn staggering along the path, using her sheathed katana as a crutch. She was covered in numerous cuts and abrasions, her clothes ripped and torn in many different locations, her shirt of her chest in particular. However, she had her medic coat tied around her slim form, giving her coverage.

Jarrett and the others immediately made their way over to her. Those cuts and scrapes don’t appear to have been made by monsters. To him, they look like injuries from weapons. And Jarrett had a suspicion of who could be responsible.

“I’m fine,” Galyn said as Ricky reached her, flailing about her in concern. She gave Ricky a forced smile, trying to calm the Gunner down. “Nothing to worry about.”

With his glasses sitting on the tip of his nose, Simon began to carefully inspect her wounds. “These injuries,” he murmured. “They weren’t made by monsters.”

“Huh? Then what did?” Arthur asked loudly.

“I’m fine,” Galyn said again, firmer this time. “Really.”

Seeing the grimace on her face and how she was leaning far too much on her make-shift walking aid, Jarrett knew that she was far from fine. She wouldn’t be able to make it back to town on her own. In fact, she would be easy prey to any and all monsters. They would be able to smell the blood.

So why wasn’t she healing the wounds herself?

“You guys continue with that request from Rosa,” Jarrett said as he walked over to Galyn. “I’ll walk Galyn back into town.”

Pushing his glasses onto his nose, Simon nodded his head in agreement. “Yes, good idea.”

Standing by Galyn’s side, Jarrett offered her his arm to hold onto. Surprisingly, she did reach out to place her hand on his forearm, allowing herself to lean heavily against him. She was still using her katana as a crutch, though. She was in more pain that she was letting on.

“No further than the first stratum,” Jarrett said to his guild mates.

“Don’t worry; I’ll make sure everyone comes back in once piece,” Raquna replied, smiling impishly.

Jarrett gave her a blank look before turning to regard Simon. “…Simon, you’re in charge.”

Simon nodded his head sharply. “Understood.”

“What do you mean by that?!” Raquna squawked.

“Take care, Galyn,” Ricky said as she waved joyfully and cheerfully. “I’ll visit you when we get back into town.”

“Steer clear of those Reaping Shades, yeah?” Arthur added.

“Don’t make a fuss,” Galyn said as she and Jarrett began to move. “I’m fine.”

As they moved slowly along the many winding pathways, Jarrett quickly realised that this method of travel wasn’t going to be practical. Galyn was resting heavily against his arm, wincing each and every time she put any pressure on her right ankle. Being closer to her now, Jarrett could see that most of her injuries had healed, whether on their own or from her own healing. She was still in pain, though.