Chapter 16

Author’s Note: I am very sorry for taking so long to update! There were a few things in my personal life that needed to be taken care of. I won’t bore you with the details. In any case, I wish to thank Hannyhannyhannah for commenting and voting. I really do appreciate it. Hopefully, you won’t have to wait as long for the next chapter!

----------------------------------------------------

Stepping into the geomagnetic pole, Jarrett immediately found himself standing at the town’s edge, in the same grassy field where he had confronted and cornered Mira what felt like hours ago. Guards were still milling about the area, yet there was no sign of the four murderers. They must have been taken into custody already.

A small part of Jarrett was disappointed while another part of him was relieved. He had wanted Mira to see that Galyn was alive, that her desperate plea to have her killed had failed miserably. He had wanted Mira to see that Galyn was far, far more important to him than she could have ever been. But he was also glad that Mira wasn’t around. He didn’t want her to see Galyn in such a vulnerable state, didn’t want to give her the small satisfaction that she had caused her even more pain.

If he never saw that bitch again, it would be too soon.

Keeping Galyn firmly and safely in his arms, Jarrett began to walk into town, passing by the guards that were stationed there.

“Y-your guild went in looking for you,” a guard stuttered to him, causing him to pause for a moment.

The guard then subtly winced as Jarrett turned his attention to him. “Then you better send a guard in to tell them where we are,” he said.

The guard skittishly nodded his head. “What happened to-?”

“He’s dead,” Jarrett answered bluntly. “Two jungle killers. You can get him if you want.”

Jarrett certainly wasn’t going to be wasting his time with such a trivial task.

“Where are Mira and the Sirens?”

“They’ve been taken into custody,” the guard explained. “Although, two are in need of hospital treatment…”

So the two that tried to get in his way were still alive. Probably for the best. He didn’t want to be an outright murderer like Mira and they did get some form of punishment. Nothing like they deserved, mind you. Hopefully the government of Etria would deal with those four more harshly.

“We’ll be at the Mansion,” Jarrett said as he continued on into town, Galyn safely in his arms.

The trek back to the mansion was a relatively short one. Jarrett took the direct route. He didn’t care if anyone saw them, didn’t care that some of the locals were gossiping in the streets, no doubt nattering about what had happened at the clinic and at the labyrinth. They grew quiet, however, as Jarrett neared, all but fleeing in his presence.

“Oh, my,” Rosa gasped as she opened the door to the mansion before quickly gathering herself and ushering them inside. “Miss Galyn has been injured?”

“Had an unexpected jaunt into the labyrinth,” Jarrett uttered as he walked inside, still carrying Galyn.

“Shall I prepare a bath?” Rosa asked as she pulled out a seat from the table and positioned it so Galyn could easily sit down.

“I want Simon to have a look at Galyn first,” Jarrett said as he carefully placed Galyn back to her feet before helping her to sit in the chair.

“They’re not as bad as they look,” Galyn replied, but the grimace on her face did little to put confidence in those words. “A bath does sound nice, though.”