Chapter 3

Trudging their way through the four level of the labyrinth, Jarrett and his teammates were surprisingly quiet for the most part. Their latest mission, dealing with the wolves, had made them become quiet and series. Every rustling of the trees or bushes caused the group to tense and prepare for battle.

Making their way around an annoying road block, Jarrett heard a noise. It was slight, barely audible, but he definitely heard something. With his party momentarily distracted with battle planning, Jarrett edged forward and peered around a bend in the path. And what he saw surprised him.

In a clearing a few steps ahead was Galyn and she was surrounded by three purple lizard type monsters. However, before Jarrett could even form the thought of offering his aid, she had unsheathed her katana and sliced effortlessly through one of the lizards. As the lizard fell to the ground, Galyn shifted her weight and adjusted her grip on her weapon.

A split second later, two more lizards were felled.

Sheathing her blade, Galyn relaxed her posture and carefully approached the unmoving monsters. She leant forward and plucked a feather from one of the lizards. “Longisquama?” she was heard muttering, twirling the feather around between her fingers. “On this level?”

Jarrett had to admit; she was rather impressive with that katana. She must have had that grimoire stone for a long time.

“Whatcha looking at, Jarrett?”

As if just realising that she wasn’t alone, Galyn spun around in look in Jarrett’s direction. She looked momentarily surprised, one hand reaching for the hilt of her katana, the other reaching for her bag. She, however, relaxed somewhat when she recognised them. Still, her violet eyes held a sense of suspicion.

“Oh!” Ricky gasped before stuttering nervously. “H-hello again.”

“What are you doing down here?” Simon asked as he fidgeted with his glasses. “These floors have been cordoned off because of the wolves.”

Uttering a sigh, Galyn straightened her posture and rested her hand idly over the handle of her blade. “Stair Jump.”

“Eh?” Arthur uttered, tilting his head to the side in question.

“Never mind,” Galyn said as she shook her head, causing strands of orange hair to dance across large violet eyes. “I can take care of myself.”

Galyn abruptly turned around and began to walk away, side stepping the three felled monsters and seemingly intent on carrying on her way.

“W-wait!” Ricky called out to her.

Somewhat startled, Galyn stopped and turned slightly. “What now?” she asked quite coolly as she glanced over her shoulder.

Ricky immediately began to fidget. “Um, well, I know we got off to a bad start, but I thought we could, um, be friends or something,” she managed to say.

Galyn blinked. “…You want to be friends with me?” she asked, sounding rather confused.

Ricky nodded her head quickly. “Yeah, of course.”

“Why?”

It was Ricky’s turn to blink. “Huh?”

“I asked why?” Galyn said as she turned around to face her fully. Her eyes were slightly narrowed from suspicion, and yet she seemed genuinely confused. “Why would you bother trying to befriend me? You’ve heard what they say about me, right?”

“Well, yeah…” Ricky murmured, frowning when she remembered that man from the bar they had unfortunately encounter yesterday afternoon. Her frown unexpectedly deepened and she puffed her cheeks out in a huff. “But they’re so rude!”