have

i remember the day after that. it was the day i tried to protect you but you looked at me like i was a pest.

the day started off as normal, we rode to school together. you made sure no one saw you get out of my car. it hurt to know that you kept me a secret. our kiss was your most protected secret, but soon enough you had more things to hide.

i remember running into taeyong in the halls, and he greeted me with such enthusiasm and affection. why couldn't you do that to me, sicheng? you kissed me and yet you didn't want to be seen with me? i just couldn't understand you, sicheng.

taeyong was talking to me, saying something about the new movie that was coming to the theaters. but my eyes were on you once again. i watched as you walked over to jaehyun, the man who claimed to love you. he didn't love you, sicheng. i found out too late. i'm sorry i never told you.

seeing jaehyun wrap his arms around your waist made my blood boil. how the hell could he act like nothing happened? and you, sicheng, you took it like it was nothing. you're worth more than that, my angel. i wish you saw your value sooner.

without a second thought, i left taeyong in the hall and started striding towards you and jaehyun. my fists were balled and my jaw was clenched in rage. i was ready to throw a punch at him but you saw me first.

i could've cried then and there, sicheng. the look in your eyes hurt just as much as what was about to come. you silently pleaded with me to turn back and leave your boyfriend alone. but how could i do that? if he wasn't going to protect you, then i will.

you must have sensed that i was never going to back down. because you stomped towards me and slapped me.

i stood there, in utter shock and confusion. but not long after, my lips turned up in a morose curve.

"i understand," i said, turning around to find taeyong as shocked as me.

i could hear jaehyun asking you what that was about as i walked away. you told him i tried to kiss you.

i thought, this is it. i'm not going to be whatever i am to you anymore. was i your rebound? someone you went to whenever your relationship with jaehyun becomes rocky? no, sicheng, i deserve more than that.

i was ready to give up. but what happened the next day changed my mind.