01

DECEMBER fourth was jin's birthday. they were all seated happily in their favourite restaurant in seoul, and their six-person table was filled with good food, laughter, and joy.

jin had just turned a year older, and his friends congratulated him warmly as possible for the cold season had finally come.

then baro stood up enthusiastically from his seat. he was pulling on his pants and parka for a bit, feeling cramped as he was seated at the corner next to sandeul. he picked up a teal box with a pretty white ribbon lace, and handed it over to the birthday man.

"happy birthday bro," he smiled widely to him, "this is for you. i really placed my thoughts into this gift, and i want to complete whatever you seemed to need as you turn a year older. i'm hoping that you'll be happy with this and that you'll use it well."

jin was grinning as he took the pretty box from baro. his eyes shimmered as he admired how shimmery the box was, and he loved how the ribbon was nicely tilted at the lid.

however, for a box that needed to be held with two hands, the weight did not add up. too light? what could this be?

"open it." baro said eagerly to him, gesturing for him to finally open his gift.

jin, with a bright smile and anticipating eyes, removed the ribbon lace and opened the lid. everybody's eyes were on his gift. but they were starting to feel something wrong as they spotted a general store cellophane with stapled receipt.

"i'm kind of getting nervous for him," moonbyul uttered; her eyebrows were about to meet due to the uprising tension and curiosity.

jin ripped the receipt off, not bothering to read it. as he zoomed the gift close to his face to see what it was, his eyes bulged-baffled and shocked-at the sight of three packets of condoms. condoms.

"condoms," he said sternly. disappointment rushed to his brain and caused his blood to paint his face red.

"let me see that!" moonbyul grabbed the gift from him, and dropped the gift box instantly. baro had begun to laugh. then everybody but moonbyul who's poor eyes were stained at such good occassion.

"why on earth would you get me condoms?!" jin asked, his tone strong but at the same time he was struggling not to let out his squeaky laugh.

"you need to get laid," baro replied, giggling loudly at the corner.

then ken had to butt in, not wanting to miss his chance to stand up as he was settled beside hani. "you don't need a condom to get laid. y'know i'm quite good at tips how to start to so you can ask me"

hani just scoffed at his boast.

sandeul was stifling as reached for the condoms in the box and held it up above them. "this is not jin's size. how could you get the wrong size?! can't you see it in his pants?"

that got the other three lose their sanity for a few good minutes. moonbyul sat back, wondering why these childish dorks were her friends. but nonetheless she held back her laugh and covered her eyes.

hani, however, was disgusted and would not even dare look at the packets being passed around.

"oh, my god. sit down!" moonbyul pleaded. "they're looking at us."

indeed, the other customers were wondering what they were doing to laugh at such a volume. the ones who sat nearer had noticed the condoms and began to chuckle themselves.

jin placed the condoms back at the box, marking the end of the fun. the laughs and embarrassments resided slowly, but then ken just had to insert his intermission number: a pun session.