03

HANI was not sure whether to spank him for being such a klutz or she would be a good friend and assist him with his troubles. ken was there in front of her, pleading tremendously and was trying to earn her favor for the sake of his relationship.

"geez, ken. how did you even become a boyfriend not knowing your own anniversary?" hani grumbled in irritation.

"look, just please help me! i can't afford to lose seulgi this way; she'll hate me for this!" ken pleaded, now childishly kneeling in front of her like a lost child.

"ken, i have work to do tomorrow-"

"then thursday! you're always off in thursdays, right? you can help me! please, ha-ning-ning, with cherry on top?" ken interjected her with another plea.

hani just remained speechless for the next few seconds; not because of how determined ken was in trying to save his sorry boyfriend butt.

it was because ken had remembered her day offs rather than his own anniversary. how even?

now to decide: help him or not?

hani looked at him. he seemed to not want to let go of the opportunity of having the help he needed anytime soon. it is right there in his grip, and he will be holding for as long as he could until she finally holds a grip back.

"all right. fine. i'll help you, but only if you're going to be less of a jerk to me and not call me with that awkward nickname," hani told him, inserting her own conditions strictly.

ken stood up elated. he immediately hugged hani tightly while deafening her with his high-frequency noise of happiness, then followed by a series of annoying phrases of gratitude.

"i swear i will behave and not make you regret anything," ken promised, "so does nine o'clock tomorrow sound fine to you?"

"yeah, that's fine. we need all the time we can get if we're not certain of what we're buying," hani agreed.

"okay, i won't bother you now. see you tomorrow!" ken bid as he rid himself out the apartment enthusiastically.

hani just nodded him off as she began to scoop the taco again from the table and retrieved her juice in the kitchen, hearing the soft sound of the closing door.

🍝

ANY worries were not supposed to be with her during thursdays. but shopping for somebody else's girlfriend had become a task.

hani and ken rode the scooter all the way to jung-gu. lotte department store opened at such time, and the mall was already busting with a crowd of people from each floor.

"let's go to the third floor. maybe we can find something over there," hani suggested.

as she began to lead the way, ken had followed right behind her.

at the third floor, feminine clothing items were elegantly displayed in mannequins and clothing racks. some were quite pricey, and some were okay in ken's eyes but not for hani: she made a grimace when ken pulled out an all-white godet skirt and a purple cowl.

deciding that somehow the mall was not the place, they moved to doosan tower and spent another two hours just wandering around the place, not really seeing anything fit for a lady like seulgi.

or at least, hani thinks so.

both stopped and sat down at the food court; headaches started to make them weary of the desperate search for something worthy to be called as a priceless gift. they were both hurting in their heels and the seats have relieved them slightly of the stress.

"dang, this is much harder than i thought," ken sighed.

"all i'm seeing are wack items. seulgi would not want anyone to wear the same top or accessory as her. even i wouldn't!" hani stressed out, her eyes widened. but then slouched back and sighed herself, "you should've asked moonbyul instead of me."

"no, i asked you first," ken rose up, "i already took your time and i won't be dragging moonbyul. i've bothered you enough."

"all right, if you're that determined," hani inhaled, "let me ask you something."

"what?"

"what is seulgi to you? describe her for me."

ken's eyes looked all left of hani, meaning that he was remembering certain emotions and memories inside his head.

but instead of long descriptions and fancy essay-like storytime of how seulgi is, ken gave her a gasp and a sudden derpy face screaming eureka.

"i've got it! of course! how can i be so dumb?" ken exclaimed.

hani gave him a dumbfounded look. what could have urged him to be so explosive with bright energy?

"okay, so what are you planning to give to her?" hani asked.

ken suddenly stood up from his chair. he clapped his hands twice and posed in a la español. he spread his arms outward.

hani was sweating. it was winter, but she was sweating. this idiot was embarrassing them both in so many levels.

ken suddenly sang when i see you out loud. all eyes turned to him. he surprisingly did not sound like a dying pegasus but instead sounded like an opera king; making heartfelt gestures to hani as if she was his girlfriend.

hani's eyes dilated. this was not supposed to make her feel special.

"when i see you, when I hold your hand, my days pass by so quickly, love is more joyful than pain, it's the love that I learned from you," ken sang out wholeheartedly, "let's not rush, let's not hesitate; i'm afraid things'll fade suddenly; the times we have left to spend together are filled with happiness. my love, I thank you."

hani was at loss. he just watched him come down from his seat and picked her up. everybody was feeling all hyped at this random musical intermission at the food court.

but before ken could breathe another line, hani flicked him in the head.

"are you crazy? look, i get it! you're gonna serenade seulgi; so what are you doing?!" hani scolded aloud.

that destroyed the mood of the place. the audience grunted in disappointment that they were not a thing as hani referred to someone else: the actual girlfriend.

ken nodded blankly as if he was just resuscitated back to common sense. hani glared at him.

"so what do you want us to do at the time of her return?" she asked, changing her expression to a casual-best-friend-to-the-rescue.

"you and moonbyul to prettify her times ten, and us boys, will set the rest up," ken eagerly told her.

" that means we still have a dress and a place to pick," hani said as she glanced over her watch. "we better hurry up."

"i've got an idea where to get one," ken grinned. "it's not far so come on!"

ken took his hand, and both rushed to wherever he was leading them.

🍝

-mique