mark

The rain was pouring for hours by now. It had started since morning up until school is over, and the boy had forgotten that his parents had been on a work trip exactly an hour or two ago. And now he had no transportation to go back home, and he could've just walk but the rain had stopped him from doing so. So he had two options now, it was either waiting for the rain to stop or just rush back home soaking wet. But looking at the weather, the rain might take a long while to end while the second option doesn't sound so nice, the boy doesn't want to end up having a cold the next day.

After what seems like an eternity of standing under the porch in the school ground, pondering over what to do, the boy, given the name Mark Lee, had just decided to walk back home, raining or not. It had been half an hour and the sun was starting to set, he didn't want to walk back home in the dark anyways.

Right after he took a few steps, with the rain starting to soak his uniform, an umbrella was quickly held over his head, stopping the rain from drenching him any further. He was a tad bit surprised, and he turned around.

___________________________________________________________

It was just like any other day, but today, it was pouring heavily. Walking home late was always one of (Y/N)'s habits. But what's different today was that it was raining cats and dogs. Stepping out of the school grounds, (Y/N) opened her blue-coloured umbrella she kept in her bag in times like these. It was at this moment she caught a figure in the corner of her eye, walking out of the gate without an umbrella of his own.

Acting without thinking, she made her way over to him and held the umbrella over their heads, quite surprising the other. When he had his head turned, only then (Y/N) knew he was familiar. It was the boy she had the same several classes with, Mark Lee, or simply just Mark. (Y/N) had never gotten the chance to talk to him, but now here she was, under the rain, under the same umbrella, fate had brought him to meet her for the first time, although it had been two years they were in the same school, and even the same age.

Breaking the silence, (Y/N) slightly waved, trying to not make the whole situation too awkward. "Hi, you don't seem to have an umbrella, so I guess we can share," you said with a kind smile. "Don't want you to get all drenched in the rain,"

He scratched the back of his head before replying her with a smile plastered on his face. The world had stopped momentarily when (Y/N) had seen his smile. "I think I know you, are you (Y/N)? You look really familiar,"

"Yeah, that's me, and you're Mark, right? I think I've seen you a few times in our classes before, but anyways, are you going to walk with me or not? I'm worried you'll get sick tomorrow if we don't share my umbrella, anyways," a light blush was on her cheeks, what nonsense is she even saying! She wanted to slap herself but Mark began to laugh lightly, causing her eyebrow to raise.

"You know what? I think it's funny because, it's always in these kind of situations where it's raining, and there's a guy and a girl, but the guy has the umbrella instead of the other, and the guy should've offer to walk her home, but right now it seems totally the opposite," he explained. (Y/N) doesn't know if her cheeks could have gotten redder than before, but she nodded.

"Well, it's not like we're in some kind of drama anyways," she replied, shrugging. "And we should probably head home now, it's starting to get dark," (Y/N) started to walk, and Mark followed right away, thanking her over and over. But half way through, the wind was starting to get stronger, and it seemed to get darker, (Y/N) couldn't see through the awful weather. Alas, a strong blow from the wind had made the umbrella they were holding slipped away and flew off to the other side of the road, exposing them to the rain.

Although that had made (Y/N) undeniably frustrated, Mark had only laugh and said, "Looks like it's the guy's turn to become a hero," he shrugged off of his school jacket and beckoned the other to come closer, covering them with his jacket. (Y/N) blushed at the closeness, but ignored her jumbly feelings inside before asking, "What should we do now?"

Mark looked around, trying to find shelter and thankfully, he saw a bus stop that they could stop by, and held (Y/N)'s hand, guiding her towards it. They sat there for a while, and Mark had noticed that the girl was shivering from the cold, which gave him an idea. He slid the jacket around her shoulders and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close. Both were bashful at that moment but Mark regretted nothing, and (Y/N) remained quiet. They were silent throughout the whole time it was raining, but it was a rather comfortable silence for the both of them.

Around half an hour, the rain had finally stopped and Mark stood up, offering her his hand. (Y/N) held it and stood up after, with the boy suggesting that he accompany her back home since it was nearly night time. They walked for a while, having a small conversation and finally, (Y/N) stopped. "My house is just around the corner. I'll be fine from here. Thanks for the small adventure, Mark, even though my umbrella's gone with the wind," she laughed lightly.

Mark gave a smile before waving, heading off to the opposite side of the road, to his own house. "See you tomorrow, (Y/N)?"

She waved back in return, smiling, "See you tomorrow, Mark,"

Right at this time had she noticed that throughout the whole time she was with Mark, (Y/N) began to develop feelings for the other, she wrote her own love story under the rain. And she didn't blame the weather at all because it drove her to meet the love of her life.

___________________________________________________________

The next day, in the early morning, first period in class, there was an umbrella, a new one, tied nicely with a ribbon, was on (Y/N)'s desk. Under the umbrella was a note. As she opened it to read, it says :

"Dear (Y/N),

Here's a gift as a thank you for last night. So if it rains again today after school, you'll be there to save me, right? Besides, I wouldn't mind sharing an umbrella with you again ;) Let's walk home together today, see you later!

Love, Mark,"