yuta - part one

This was all 10 years ago.

"Fat _______!"

"Ew! Ugly!"

You mentally blocked the insults away from your ears, covering them with your hands. You hated this the most in school, having to confront the bullies you had back in your childhood days. Because of the physical appearance you had called fat, of course it would be an opportunity for the other kids to mock and tease you about it. That was basic school thing.

You sat on the bench, waiting for your mom to pick you up. Beside you was a boy, he had a bright smile on his face as he looked at you, waving. "Hi!"

You looked at him and awkwardly waved back before looking down. He was probably one of those kids who would get back at you with their pranks when you give in to their kindness.

"My name is Yuta! What about you?"

"Why is it important?"

"Because I want to know you!"

Right on cue, your mom came and you hurriedly walked to the car before he could do anything. That left the boy confused but you ignored it, letting your mom drive away and leave the school grounds.

The next day passed and the same boy greeted you in school, Yuta or something like that. "Hi! Good morning!"

"Leave me alone," you passed him to get to your class quick, sighing in relief when you arrived.

The same horrible luck was on you during recess.

"Let's eat together!" he swung an arm around your shoulder.

"No thank you," you deadpanned. "I'm not eating,"

"Aw.. why?" he pouted.

"Because I'm not hungry,"

"I'll pay for your food-"

"Yukkuri!" a group of his friends came and one of them grabbed his hand. "What are you doing with _______? You shouldn't be friends with her," she looked at you with disgust. "C'mon, let's go already!" they dragged him away, leaving you alone. You felt saddened being left alone again. You realized that Yuta was sincere in becoming your friend.

Just like any other day after school, you waited at the bench. Your mom told you before that she would be a bit late to pick you up today so you just waited. A familiar boy spotted you and sat next to you.

"Hi! I heard your name is ________. Right?" he held out his hand to you. You glanced at his hand before willingly shaking it and nodding your head.

"I'm sorry for what happened just now. Forget about it, okay? Let's be friends!" he smiled brightly. He took out something from his bag, a food container. He pushed it to you. "You didn't go for recess back there, did you? So have this,"

You opened it to find a half of a takoyaki inside, and your lips twitched into a smile. Then, a car pulled into the driveway. "Oh, that's my dad! Just have the takoyaki! Bye!" he waved at you before running over to the car.

Ever since then, Yuta was always by your side, he was a great friend. Even though there would be times that he would be taken away by his friends, you knew he would come back to spend the remaining time he had with you in the end of the day after school. It stayed that way for more than a year. You also learned a few facts about him. He was born in Japan, but moved in Korea due to personal reasons. Though he did say he love his life in Korea, and he didn't regret it because it led him to meet you.

Everything was heaven to you until one day changed it all.

It started when Yuta was absent in school on a rainy Thursday, and you assumed he just called in sick. But the school had made an announcement later on that he was involved in a car accident, bringing everyone into a huge shock, especially you. What made you feel better that he and his dad were still breathing, but their conditions were terrible.