Au Revoir, A Mortal Instruments Fanfiction

Au Revoir

Chapter One - Cursed

It was the beginning of spring, a wonderful season. I had watched flowers bloom so many times, but up until now, I'm still amazed at how beautiful and gentle they were. Things also smelled better and sweeter. Everything was so alive.

It symbolized a fresh start, just like getting married.

He was there, near the altar, fiddling with his bow tie nervously. He looked so damn handsome as ever. I had painted him in a white tux so many times, picturing this moment.

He was glowing like an angel. His gold blonde hair was uncharacteristically fixed in place. His golden eyes, those eyes made my insides melt were fixated on the entrance of the small chapel.

The wedding was very intimate, only close family members were invited.

Everyone in the room looked so happy and excited, except me.

For the ninth time, I watched the love of my life get married to woman who wasn't me.

I was sitting at the very back of the chapel so he couldn't see me. Nobody knew me and I didn't want them to think that I was trying to stop the wedding from happening. I couldn't do that. I couldn't risk it.

This lifetime his name was Christopher Morgenstern. It was a wonderful name, but he would always be my Jace of four hundred years ago.

Finally, the bride entered and the music started. She was wearing a simple champagne gown. Her name was Trisha Stewart. Her ash brown hair was in an elegant updo, just like a princess. Her white veil was covering her naturally beautiful face. I was kind of jealous of her looks, but I'm more jealous that she was going to have Jace.

I reminded myself that this was what I needed to do, for him.

She didn't only have good looks, but also a good personality. She was also an excellent cook and very organized. She loved kids and dogs.

The ideal wife.

I always made sure that Jace always ended up with a woman who would truly take care of him and love him, just like what I'd do if I could spend my life with him. If he wasn't going to end up with me, then it should be a girl worth of him, not just someone who would leave him in the end.

Just like what I did before.

I could handle getting hurt, but not hurting him. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if that happened again. I still haven't fully recovered from the last time I hurt him.

I remembered his tear-streaked face when he thought I was dead. I didn't want to do it, but it was for the best.

The ceremony started. I wish I could make myself not pay attention, but I couldn't.

He was looking at her like she was the most precious thing in this world while he was saying his vows. Those eyes used to only see me. He was so sweet. Everyone was in tears as Jace spoke, even me.

When he was done, he hesitantly looked at the small crowd, and unexpectedly our eyes met. Oh no.

The pain that I was feeling in my chest multiplied a hundred times. It was only a few seconds but I could see something like familiarity in his eyes. Of course he wouldn't know me, he had never seen me this lifetime, but there was still a part of him that recognized me.

I could feel the pull and I knew he felt it, too from the look in his eyes.

Without thinking twice, I left the place, nobody noticing it but him.