Chapter 5 - From the Past

Afternoon came without me noticing it. I had been busy doing chores that my mother ordered me to do. Sebastian, my brother was at the farm, working with Jace. I made tea and sat on the porch.

It was through my brother that I met Jace. It had always been me who brought my father and brother's lunch at work. I never actually liked that task until I was fourteen, and Jace started working there.

He was the same age my brother, they became best friends in no time. I'm too shy to speak to him because I liked him. I had never felt anything like that for any boy. I couldn't even run into his eyes without blushing.

One day, Sebastian invited him to our house for supper. My brother did that because he knew that I liked Jace. He loved to tease and embarrass me.

I remember I was washing the dishes when we had our first conversation.

"Does my presence bother you? You seem to be uneasy when I'm around. You barely ate," he said, taking some of the plates that I scrubbed with soap and rinsed them with water.

I didn't respond, I just watched him. His blonde hair was unruly, his gold eyes were focused on what he was doing. I never saw anyone who had eyes same as his. They were so beautiful.

I finally had the bravery to speak. "Your presence doesn't bother me. I just don't warm up to people I just met easily. Sorry if I made you feel that." I wasn't lying about not warming up easily to people.

His hands stopped and he looked at me.

"Thank God," he said with a beautiful smile that made my heart skip a beat.

My green eyes met his gold ones.

"So are we friends now, Clarissa?" he asked. There was something in his voice, but I just couldn't pinpoint it.

"Yes." Only friends.

Two years passed and my feelings for grew stronger. I thought he only looked at me as his sister. I'd seen him with other girls a couple of times. I'd never been so jealous.

I proved myself wrong.

Sebastian and Jace shared the same birthday. It was also the day when he confessed what he felt for me. It wasn't the best way to express your love, but I was the happiest girl.

My mother was becoming worried, it was almost dawn and Sebastian hadn't come back yet. He said that he would celebrate his birthday in Jace's house. He promised that he would come back after supper, but that was long ago.

"Mother, you should rest, I'll be the one to wait for Sebastian," I told my mother who looked so exhausted.

"Are you sure, aren't you tired yourself?"

"I'm fine. I'll just have tea and read a novel."

She hugged me and left the room.

Two cups of tea later I heard something hit the window. Someone was throwing pebbles on my window.

I looked down to see who it was, I was expecting to see Sebastian, but there was Jace. He was ready to throw another pebble when he saw me.

"Clarissa!" He yelled.

Something must have happened to my brother that was why he was alone. I was so worried to even think about wearing shoes before running downstairs.

When I opened the door and met Jace in front of our house, I smelled the strong smell of alcohol. He had drunk.

"Where is my brother?" I asked him.