Chapter 6 - Deal

"Jonathan? What are you doing here?" Isabelle asked when she answered the door.

She was wearing a black silk nightgown that barely reached her knees and her raven hair was in a high ponytail.

She saw me, gave us a questioning look, and crossed her arms.

"Clary invited me," he answered, sounding nonchalant. It was the first time I heard him call my name.

"I invited you and you said no, but when Clary asked, you said yes?" She shifted her gaze to me. "Is there something going on between you and my brother? I thought you knew better than dating that frog."

"Isabelle, I'm not dating him. He's not my type, so please let us in. It's kinda cold here," I said. He wasn't my kind of guy, but he was still Jace.

"You swear?" She looked unconvinced.

"Don't make her swear things, Izzy. We never know, she might change her mind." Jonathan smirked and I rolled my eyes on him.

Isabelle moved away from the door and allowed us to go inside. Maia was shocked when she saw me with Jonathan. She gave me a we'll-talk-later look and I nodded.

Jonathan said that he was fine with sleeping on the couch, but it was too short for him. In the end, Isabelle and I agreed that we would share a bed and he'd stay in her room.

Maia ordered pizza for late snack and we ate in the living room while 'Beastly' was playing. Simon came a few minutes later bringing the root beer that he promised.

Isabelle and Simon sat beside each other, Jonathan on the smaller couch, and Maia and I sat on the carpeted floor.

I could see Jonathan giving Simon death glares, but my friend didn't seem to notice. Isabelle's head was resting on his chest and his arms around her as they watched the movie.

"I'm not surprised if Jonathan ends up like the lead guy, he's so conceited," Isabelle suddenly said and then laughed. Simon joined in, but he didn't say anything when he saw how Jonathan looked at him.

"I'm going to bed," Jonathan said and left the room.

Later, when the movie ended and Simon left, Maia and I went to her room.

Her room was painted mint green and most of the furniture were white and beige. Her room was cute, and it reflected her personality.

We sat on her bed and began to talk.

"Explain why you are with Jonathan Lightwood," she demanded.

"I was on my way home and remembered that I left some of my things in the third floor art room so I came back to school. I saw Jonathan," I lied smoothly.

"And then?" she asked eagerly.

"And then I got curious because he was still in school when it was that late. I followed him to the rooftop and heard him talking to someone on the phone, saying that he had no place to stay. He caught me listening. I thought he could stay here with Isabelle since she's his sister." Now, that wasn't really a lie.

Maia was grinning and she shook me excitedly. "This is the start of a love story, I can feel it, Clary. It's like a movie. You even rode with him on his bike. That's so romantic."

I removed his hands from my shoulders and made a gagging sound. "Ew. I don't think of Jonathan like that, and riding his motorcycle was no romantic experience. He was driving so insanely fast, I thought I was going to die."

"Clary, I can see it in your eyes when you look at him."

"Maia, please, for the record, I'm not interested in him."