Chapter 4 - The Ring

A week passed since Simon confessed to me. Thank goodness he realized that his feelings weren't as deep as he imagined it was.

He was spending too much time in my apartment though. Not because he wanted to hang out with me, but only because he wanted to see Isabelle. She appeared to be taking an interest on Simon, too. I really didn't know if it was a bad thing. She admitted that he wasn't her type. She usually preferred badass guys, the ones your parents would never approve of, but thought, trying a new 'flavor' wouldn't be that bad.

Jonathan hadn't bothered me since last week. I kind of expected pranks from him, but nothing happened. I still didn't know why he did those things to me. I was confused as hell. I knew he was lying when he told me he hated me because I was a geek's friend.

Anyway, he was still with Breanne. I caught them being all sweet to each other a couple of times these past few days, and I thought it was good. At last, he was taking a girl seriously, or was he? You really never know what Jonathan Lightwood had in mind.

Using my ninja skills, I followed him around the school. Breanne wasn't around. I found out from her friends that she was suffering food poisoning.

Jonathan was on the ground floor where his third class was located. He was wearing a black leather jacket, a black shirt inside and dark washed denim jeans.

He was walking briskly and I was having a problem keeping up. He stopped abruptly in front of the Dean of the Art Department's office.

I watched his actions intently. I knew he wasn't here to talk to the dean because he was a music student.

Something caught his attention and made him stop and it was the painting of the farmhouse.

He moved closer to it, examining it with careful eyes. His long pianist fingers reached for the canvas. He delicately touched the house and then all the other details of it.

The recognition in his eyes was very visible. The expression on his face gave me a spark of hope. Deep down his tough exterior was my Jace. The sides of my mouth lifted up to form a smile.

I wanted to run and embrace him, but realized I couldn't. The only man that I loved was off limits.

The bell rang, distracting him from what he was doing. Hesitantly, he stepped back, looked once more at the painting, and then walked away.

..................

It was almost ten pm, way too late to still be in school and Jonathan was still in school. Normally, Jonathan would have left before eight.

Since Simon didn't bring his car today, I needed him to drive my car to our flat. It was more of a favor for him than a chore because it gave him a reason to see Isabelle. He was totally smitten.

It was just me and Jonathan in the school and it was harder to follow him. One wrong move and he would notice me.

The elevators were down so he took the stairs. Oh my gosh, where was he going? We were on the seventh floor already and my legs were shaking. I was trying not to pant loudly.

He finally stopped when he reached the top floor where a greenhouse was located. He didn't even looked tired after climbing up twelve floors.

The place was dim, only the city lights were illuminating it. He entered and I followed.

Hiding behind a big plant, I watched him take a seat on a wrought iron bench. He stretched out his long legs and closed his golden eyes. He touched the neckline of his shirt and pulled out something, a necklace. He played with the pendant in his fingers.