Last Wish

Two weeks later...

Jonathan and I haven't spoken to each other since the night went to the music store. I pushed him back and told him that I wanted nothing from him and I wasn't holding anything back, that I simply got carried away in the moment.

He left the day after because Robert cooled down and he had his old apartment and money back. Maybe things were better this way. Magnus was right, I couldn't let him get attached to me because it'd only hurt us both, not that I wasn't hurting now.

Magnus and I were busy looking for the witch who we really couldn't track. He said that she was very near, but he couldn't tell her exact location, there was a spell protecting her from being spotted by another witch. There was a stronger spell that could break what the witch did, but it would take him a few weeks to prepare and execute it. He said that he'd be ready with it in four more days so we should find the witch in no time.

There were also no more notes after Jonathan left, we stopped talking, and ignored each other in school. The witch was satisfied with our distance.

Jonathan was back in his old ways, but much worse this time. He came to school bruised and sometimes bleeding. Maia mentioned that he even came to one class drunk. I kept telling myself that it wasn't because of me that was why he'd been acting that way, but I couldn't help thinking of what Isabelle told us about him before, that he did what he did because it distracted him from the girl with flaming red hair.

He was doing stupid things again because of me. If only I had the courage to talk to him after what I did. He must have felt bad after telling me things he never told anyone before. He almost trusted me his heart. He thought differently of me than the other people who surrounded him. But what did I do?

I promised myself that after we found the witch and knew what she wanted from me and Jonathan, I'd leave New York. I could go to Greece or somewhere in Asia. Jonathan could do whatever he wanted. Since he wouldn't be able to see anymore, maybe the nightmares would vanish. Just to make sure, I'd ask for Magnus's help. I'm sure he could do something to make him forget that I ever existed even just in his dreams.

I didn't feel like going to school anymore. I was too distracted to paint properly and I couldn't really focus on my other classes. Every time I see Jonathan, whether he was alone or he was with friends or another girl, the hole on my chest kept stretching and stretching bigger.

I skipped three days of school. It was a Saturday and only Isabelle and I are in the apartment. Maia had a date with her boyfriend and Simon had band practice. We were in the living room, the television was on, it was on a news channel, but we were both busy with different things. She was using her iPad while I was reading a John Green novel. His books were something I could relate to. Most of the time, his characters didn't end up together, just like me and Jace. No matter how many years and lifetimes passed, it would never be us.

"Clary?" Isabelle called me.

I faced her, she wasn't using her gadget anymore and she looked serious. I placed the book I was reading on my lap.

"Why?" I asked.

"I've wanted to talk to you since the last few days," she admitted.

"Then why will you just tell me now? Is there a problem?"

She shook her head, but the worry in her face was clear. "It's about Jonathan."

I hated doing it, but I played dumb and innocent. "What do I have to do with him?"

"I know there's something going on between you two," she said with a raised eyebrow.

"We don't have any kind of relationship, we aren't even friends," I argued.