XIV. Transient (Part II)

Twitter - @escapetomichael / Tumblr - http://5sos-fan-base.tumblr.com

Copyright © 2014 Makayla B.

transient (adjective): existing, happening, or staying somewhere for a short period of time only

-Jess's Point of View-

Jade and I thudded into her apartment which was not minuscule, considering that an university girl and her younger sister financed it. It had three medium sized bedrooms, a large kitchen and two modest bathrooms. I discovered that the living room had a pretty big balcony with the view of the pool which was located on the ground floor. Jade showed me to my bedchamber and I quickly got comfortable. Throwing my luggage on the floor, I sighed and breathed out deeply.

"When is your sister getting home?" I asked. For a fraction of a second, Jade's eyes projected sadness and negligence but those emotions vanished as fast as they had appeared. I immediately felt guilty for bringing up such a touchy subject. But in my defense, I thought she was over the whole my sister is never home thing because of the way she put up all those barriers around herself.

"I don't know, buuuuut-" She answered, and paused for a dramatic effect. "We're going to a party tonight!"

"Nice. Who's holding it?" I asked and squealed on the inside.

"Dylan." Jade announced.

At that particular moment, hearing that boy's name, bile rose in my esophagus and I was sure I'd be puking anytime soon. I brought my index fingers to either sides of my temples and rubbed the skin gently, trying to focus. I didn't know what to do, how could I turn Jade down? However, no matter how tempting the party sounded, I didn't want to be near that pig.

"I'll pass." I simply stated, picking at my manicured nails. Jade rolled her eyes and flipped me the bird kindly.

"Darling, I don't remember asking you if you wanted to go. I said, we're going." She smiled brightly.

I felt bad as I knew I was acting like a shitty friend. If Jade wanted to go to a party then I should accompany her, right? Wasn't that the right thing to do? Being selfish would mean staying at her apartment and leaving her alone at a party. However, I couldn't do that.

"Fine, fine." I said, raising my arms in defeat. "Help me pick an outfit."

"We need to hurry up, we've only got two hours until we have to be there." Jade mumbled and ushered me into my room.

We raked through my suitcases and eventually I had enough of Jade's complaining so I kicked her out of the room, continuing my search on my own. Just before she left, I was informed that the party was a little bit on the classy edge, an upgrade to Dylan's previous parties apparently. Not that I gave a shit, on the contrary.I couldn't hide the obvious expression I had painted onto my face, I was simply unhappy about the situation. What I really wanted was Luke by my side, unfortunately, my dream wasn't coming true tonight.

I exhaled deeply but smiled when I laid eyes on my creamy lace dress. Not having a chance to wear it to any occasion before made it seem like the obvious choice. I slipped it on and observed myself in the full length mirror. It clinged to my bosom and waist, which wasn't a bad thing at all. From lower waist down to mid-thigh, the dress was flowy and had black lace at the bottom. I couldn't prevent myself from twirling around and admiring the way it flowed unanimously.

I skimmed through the suitcase that only contained shoes. Sadly, like every other woman who had to plan an outfit, I had to make a choice. Peach colored heels we absolutely out of question, it would be too much. I simply chose black wedges and threw on a black blazer. After examining myself in the mirror once again, I began curling my hair to obvious perfection.