45; bitter

SARA WAS IN A BIT OF A MOOD WHEN SHE WOKE UP

SARA WAS IN A BIT OF A MOOD WHEN SHE WOKE UP. She was bitter at something, that much James could tell, as she gave him a sharp look when he walked in. He halted for a moment under her withering gaze, the grumpy girl tightened in a giant blanket that smothered her small frame. "Okay?" he asked her. She grumbled. "Headache?"

Sar sighed out. "Little bit." She was cold now, and had the sheets pulled up high around her. It seemed her fever had gone down quickly. She rubbed her forehead hard with her fingers, narrowing her eyes.

"Why are you pissed off?" he asked her in that painfully aware brotherly way he did, sitting on the edge of her bed. She narrowed her eyes at him again before glaring at the wood floor.

"I don't know," she grumbled, hunching over herself with crossed arms. Her face was crumpled in annoyance.

James just rolled his eyes. "Sar, you know I can read you like a book. And you're not exactly subtle about it." She grumbled at that. "So? Tell me."

She exhaled sharply through her nose. "I said some shit to Steve," she said after a moment. Her lips were twisted into a bitter frown.

James tilted his head, raised eyebrows. "Like made him angry?"

Sar shook her head. "No. I told him to go make up with Nancy." She said it with an odd bitterness, chin placed on the back of her hands. Sara's eyes were narrowed as she stared at the floor.

James gave her a look. "And that's a bad thing?" he asked her, eyebrows furrowed.

Sara threw her hands up in the air in exasperation. "I don't know!" She raised her voice irritably, a bite to her words. Her face was twisted into annoyance, a crease between her eyebrows.

He just seemed to inspect her for a moment, before: "You like Steve."

She spluttered at him. "—I do not like Steve!" she exclaimed, face red. She kicked out a foot to shove him off the bed. "Shut up, James!" He just raised his eyebrows from where he had landed on her carpeted floor. Her cheeks were burning. "I don't!"

"Aye, whatever you say, Sar," he told her, getting to his feet. "But I'm older than you. And trust me, I know a thing or two about people being in love." She briefly thought about the way James had looked at Two and wondered if she mirrored that when she looked at Steve. Her ears turned red again and she buried her face in her blankets as he grinned.

"Shut up, James," she repeated and tried to cover her pink ears. "Leave me alone." But there was the slightest grin on her face. He just shook his head at her.

"You're kind of an idiot," he said. She threw up her middle finger at him, to which he responded with a laugh. He paused by the doorway. "Hey, Hopper's got some stuff about Will. You might want to talk to him." Sara stumbled up at that, almost tripping over the blankets tangled around her legs. James just raised his eyebrows, letting her topple past. "Don't hurt yourself," he mused as she cannoned down the hallway wrapped in her comforter.