Chapter 13: I'm a weird emu sometimes

I just want to apologize for such a late update. I have a bad case of writer's block and I couldn't bring myself to write this chapter for some reason. Again, so sorry if you've been waiting for this chapter.

I sigh deeply as Matt drives away as fast as possible. I can't believe I just hid in a bathroom to hide away from Jace and then I proceeded to eavesdrop into a conversation. Wow. Not to mention how MY FREAKING PHONE WENT OFF AND PERRY THE PLATYPUS PLAYED.

Can I die?

Matt coughs and I look over at him. He's still focused the road, but I can tell that he wants me to explain what the fudge happened back there.

"Oh yeah, uh..."

"I mean, you don't even keep your getaway driver in the loop?" he jokes around, but I know that he feels sad that I can't tell him what happened. I stay silent and that gives him his answer.

I look around the car. I take in the scent of peppermint, he's always liked peppermint. Sure, I wasn't sure that he'd have a car here, but who knows, I hardly know Mike anymore. He used to be the cute guy that would come with me to the cinema and watch cheesy love movies and sneak in snacks, even ice-cream. We used to hang out after school, him either coming to my house or him coming to mine. Our parents were close and everything felt... right.

After I left, things felt weird and I didn't like that. I was used to everything being perfect and everything had changed. Even sitting in Mike's car was awkward, both of us not really knowing what to talk about. I fiddle with my fingers and listen to the radio.

He doesn't bring it up again.

Once I arrive home, I wave goodbye and he drives off. I look at the gigantic house that I call home now. I sigh, and walk to the door. I open the door and go straight to the kitchen. I fill up a glass of water and start drinking. Running from the bathroom to the car made me tired. It reminds me of Jace and the time he turned up and we ended up tearing up the house...

Don't think about him.

Matt's still at his basketball practice and Michelle and David are hardly home. At the beginning, they were always home, but now they're always away. I guess it's the result of being so successful. Matt and I don't mind it, we're used to it by now I suppose.

I grab the speaker and connect my phone. I put on my spotify playlist 'single af' and IDGAF comes on.

I need to not think about that jerk and I'm gonna have a jam. The speakers blast Dua Lipa's voice throughout the house. I grab the cleaning supplies from the closet and start to clean the house. I mean, it's been a while since the maids have come and I need to do something rather than sulk. Plus, if Kiera and Sarah are too busy to pick up my call, then they're pretty busy.

I didn't think they had anything, I thought it was a normal Saturday, where they'd stay at home and binge watch some tv show. They're usually on the phone 24/7, but I guess not today,

Whatever, I got home safely and not going to think about anything but to make this house spotless.

Gosh, I'm a weird emu sometimes. Excuse me, all the time.

The song blasts out and I continue to clean.

~.~.~

Matt comes home about two hours after I started cleaning. By now, the house seemed spotless and I felt accomplished at something. I really didn't mess everything up.

"Hey Annie, what's up?"

I turn around and Matt splashes gatorade onto my face and I scream in fright. WHY WOULD HE DO THAT?

Right, he's Matt.

He smiles evilly and I charge at him with the duster in my hands. I sprint forwards to catch him but he quickly moves to the side and I smack into the wall.

Hard.

I hear him start laughing as I rub my head. My nose had been squished and the right side of my head had hit before the rest of my face. My head is pounding and Matt's roars didn't help. I hobble up, grabbing a nearby table to assist me and head over to the kitchen. Matt stays in his place, now on the ground dying. I open the freezer and flinch at the bright light. I grab the ice pack, set it on my head and go back.

I hear a doorbell and glare at Matt as I pass by. He's finally composed himself and sitting on the floor, leaning on the wall with his phone in his hand. I try to walk as normal as possible to the door, then dropping off my icepack on the couch.

I open the door, and there Jace stood.

He flicks his attention on me once he saw the door had opened and he straightens up. He's wearing the same thing since the stables and looks... terrified.

I slam the door, but it doesn't bang.

"Ow." I hear from the other side of the door.

I quickly open the door to find Jace cradling his red hand.

"Omigod, I'm so so sorry." I grab his wrist and without thinking, drag him into the house. I run to my icepack and place it over his hand. We didn't move for a couple seconds and then I realized that I was holding his hand and pulled away. He just stays silent, watching me.

The tension in the air is killing me. He stays silent and I do too, waiting for the other person to start the conversation.

"Annie, I-"

"Why the fuck are you here?"

Hey guys!

Again, I'm so sorry for such a late update. Thank you so much for reading, voting and commenting.

Also, just wondering, are you an introvert or extrovert?

I hope you guys have a great day!

See ya soon,

- L