21.

Hey Thomas,

I remember when I met you in 8th grade during art class. You were a year younger than me, and I knew you were nervous to be in class with older kids so my friends and I invited you to sit with us. We all bonded and became pretty good friends soon.

I remember that my friend "Grace" had the biggest crush on you and made it extremely obvious. You didn't return those feelings, but you were kind of scared of her so you never told her to back off.

We used to call you Buttercup because of some dumb joke our teacher made a few times. I remember asking my brother if he knew you because you were in the same grade as him, and he said that he knew who you were but didn't hang out with you because you were weird.

Anyway, the next year I was off to high school, and you stayed back in middle school where you started getting to know my brother. You two became really good friends, and you still are to this day. But you've changed a lot since I first knew you.

These days you can be found stealing all types of stuff from various malls and liquor stores. You get drunk on your stolen booze and do stupid things. One time you even vandalized a wall at the middle school we went to and blamed my brother for it after you were caught. I have no idea why he stayed friends with you after that.

What I'm trying to say is that I always thought you were better than this. I thought you could amount to so much more than what you have turned out to be, and I'm disappointed in you. I's been a long time since I've considered you a friend, but I still care about what happens to you, and the path you're going down now only leads to prison or worse.

I really hope that starting college in the fall (if you graduate) will change things for you, and you will start to believe in yourself again.

Sincerely,

Your best friend's sister