Chapter Twenty Two

Kaleb got home as we were just beginning to discuss our presentation.

I heard the bus coming around the corner and jogged our to the end of the street where Kaleb's bus stop was to get him. He was always the last one off at his stop; two kindergarteners and another second grader filtered off, going their separate ways, and then there was Kaleb, bounding down the stairs as he met me at the unlit street lamp.

"How was your day?" I asked him, having to shout over the roar of the bus as it rolled away. We began walking home.

"Good," he said simply, gripping the straps of his backpack. He always had a spring in his step.

"Got a lot of homework?"

"Nah." He shrugged. "What about you?"

"I got most of it done after we came back."

"Oh." I could hear his voice drop a little, and I immediately felt guilty. He was still a little confused and upset about me leaving him for a week.

We walked into the house together, and Kaleb's eyes lit up when he saw Just sitting in the kitchen. "Who's that?" he asked me.

"This is Just. He's my friend." Just waved a little as I spoke. "We have a project to work on, so he'll be here for a while. He might be coming over for a few more days."

"Okay." He smiled brightly as he hooked his backpack straps over the chair he always sat in during dinner. "Nice to meet you."

Just grinned. "Nice to meet you, too. I've heard a lot about you, buddy."

Kaleb turned and beamed at me, and I felt myself smiling, too, watching him wander down the hall and into his room.

Just leaned on the counter, resting his chin in one hand and smiling at me. "You didn't tell me he was super adorable! I wish Adriel was that sweet all the time."

"Oh, I promise he's not always like that." I smirked. "Most of the time, but not always. Just be glad you don't live with him."

He laughed lightly, a lovely bubbly sound that made my hairs stand on end.

"Let's get to work, then," Just suggested. "This may take a while."

•••

The project took three days to complete.

There were only so many hours in the day. Sure, we were arriving at my house to work around 2:45 each day, but then we'd each grab a snack and procrastinate for a while, either talking or turning on the TV and watching for a while. We'd eventually get to work, but it was slow business, trying to find quotes that would work for our poster and looking for ways to write a speech to go with it. It didn't help that neither of us wanted to do this project. One of us would end up pausing our work to go to the bathroom or something, and then it would take at least half an hour for us to actually get back to work.

On the third day, it was about 7:00 at night when we were finally finishing things up. My mom came home early.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the door open, my eyes darting to the entrance. I relaxed when I saw my mother's curly head of hair poke around the side, a huge smile on her face. Kaleb grinned at her from his spot at the kitchen table, munching away at his dinner.

"My boss let me off early today. Said she didn't need the extra help. I could really use the money, but I figured I haven't seen you guys in a while." She closed the door and hung her purse on the coat hanger next to the door. She locked eyes with Just. "Who's this?"

"Just. He's my friend. We've been working on an English project for a few days."

"Oh." She smiled. "It's nice to meet you."

Just returned the smile.

My mom looked back over at me. "Well, let me know when you guys are finished here. I'm going to lie down for a while. Maybe we can watch a movie later or something. Just can stay, too, if he wants."

"I'll check with my mom," he said, the smile still on his face. "Thank you for the offer."

"No problem." She crossed the kitchen to kiss my forehead and did the same to Kaleb before heading down the hall.

"She's really sweet," Just said after she was gone.

"I know." I slid out of my seat to grab another snack for each of us. "It sucks that she's not home more often." Of course, she would be if my father wasn't such a jerk, but I didn't say that part out loud. At least, I don't think I did. If I let it slip, Just didn't say anything about it.

"Well, she seems to be a very lovely lady."

"Yeah." I looked over at the entrance of the hallway she'd disappeared down. "She is."

•••

THIS TOOK SUCH A LONG TIME TO FINISH AND ITS A FILLER AND ITS SHORT IM SORRY AAAAAAAAAA

LUCKILY SUMMER BREAK STARTS IN LIKE TWO WEEKS FOR ME SO ILL HAVE MORE FREE TIME

WELL MAYBE

I HAVE AN ENGLISH ASSIGNMENT TO DO OVER THE SUMMER BECAUSE MY TEACHERS LIKE TORTURING ME!!!

ANYWAYS

IDK WHY IM WRITING IN ALL CAPS SORRY