Chapter 3

I sit back down as she closes her eyes taking a deep breath.

"Are we friends?" She asks opening her eyes.

"No we don't even know each other, well not really."

"Are you sure? Why did you stay with me?" I stare at her confused, how could she know. "Strawberries, you smell like strawberries. I'm not exactly sure where I am or how long I've been here but you've always been with me. Its good to finally put a face to the scent." I didn't realize she had hold of my hand until I felt a gentle squeeze accompanied by another superstar smile. "I don't know what your definition of friends is but this feels like friendship to me."

We sit in a surprisingly comfortable silence. In walks the doctor closely followed by Nicola. The doctor writes some notes from the various machines. I try to ignore it but all the while I'm receiving very questioning looks from Nic. I soon realize why so I ease my hand from Cheryl's grip, causing her to frown suddenly.

"Miss Walsh."

"Yes, Dr. Jones?"

"I know you've become accustomed to being here but unfortunately I'll have to ask you to leave for the night. She'll undergo a series of different tests, to ensure everything is as it should be, so she'll barely be in this room herself. Hope you do understand."

"Of course." I say a bit saddened surprising myself.

Cheryl lay there with tears in her eyes, everyone in the room taking notice.

"Nurse Roberts..." the doc says breaking the awkward atmosphere, "Walk with me, I'll talk you through some of whats going to happen tonight."

"Alright." The doctor leaves first. Nic begins to follow but turns to speak to me, "Call me when you get back home, yeah? Let me know you got back safe."

"Yes." I nod and she leaves. Her last words remind me that these are the last moments I'll ever spend with Cheryl.

She slowly sits up and scoots over leaving a small space beside her on the bed. I sit awkwardly on the side facing her unsure of exactly what she wants me to do. I get my answer when she flings her arms around my shoulders pulling me into a hug as her tears lightly fall. She holds onto me for a few minutes before the crying stops. She's so quiet I think she may have fallen asleep.

"Goodbye, Cheryl." I say as I attempt to ease out of her grip.

Much to my surprise she gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before laying back down.

"I'll miss you." she says after a few moments of looking into each others eyes.

"No you won't..." I say trying to be the realist in this situation, "you don't even know me."

I stand up to leave but she grabs my hand turning me back around. "I want to know you." she says with a weak smile.

****

It took me the whole trip back home to convince myself that once Cheryl came to her senses she would be back to her usual self. She would go back thinking herself queen of the world. Yes thats it once she's better she'll forget all about me. While I was beyond convinced she would forget about me, I couldn't get her out of my head.

Returning to Bradford so soon seemed to be a waste. I've been back five days and didn't get any of the three jobs I returned to interview for. Nicola and I spoke often as friends do but never spoke of Cheryl, all of a sudden Nicola was too professional to discuss her.

Two days ago I saw on the news that most of what I thought would happen had begun to come true.

"After a long ten days pop princess, Cheryl Cole, is released from the hospital. She was seen leaving earlier today being cradled in the loving arms of her close friends, Sarah Harding and Nadine Coyle."

I turned the t.v of and retreated to my room, where I've spent most of my time since returning.

Today is no different as I lay in bed slipping in and out of daydreams.

"KIMBA, KIMBA!" my little sister's screams knock me from a rather pleasant dream as she burst through my door.

"What?!"

"Come quick!" she says tugging on my hand. I've never seen her this excited, ever.

I follow her downstairs quickly, almost tripping along the way.

"Careful, pet."

My eyes go wide, "Cheryl?"