Chapter 5

Astrid's P.O.V.

I quickly unlocked the door and went in before relocking it. "Crystal!" I called and she ran from her room before throwing her arms around me as she buried herself in my chest.

"Leg for a leg. Leg for a leg," she chanted between sobs. "It was mine or his! I shouldn't have done it, but they were going to sue you and I didn't have the guts to do it to myself."

"Shh, sh," I shush her gently as I stroked her hair.

"I called 911 before I pulled the trigger, I swear! No one saw me, I don't know what to do!" she cried.

"Here's what you're going to do. You are going to write that man a letter of apology. You're going to explain what happened, and then you're going to get a job until you pay off his medical bills. You hear me?" I say and she nods before running to her room and starting the letter. I took out my phone and called Hayden.

H: Hey, mark the calendar, because this is the first time you've ever called me.

A: Shut it, I'll pay you back on Monday for the salon, and do what ever, I just need you to do one thing for me.

H: Well, this is a turn of events isn't it? What do you need, precious?

A: First, you need to stop calling me that, it's getting on my nerves.

H: *Chuckles* When do I not?

A: Second, I need you to hire my niece as a payed intern.

H: What?

A: Yeah. She needs some money to pay for something, and I figured if we had the same workplace, I can help her with the tricky stuff. You know, help her add her paychecks up until she has these bills payed off.

H: What bills?

A: She got her brother landed in the hospital and her parents are making her pay for the bills.

H: How old is she?

A: Too young to have this much guilt. And too young for anyone else to think she's good for anything.

H: What can she do?

A: Lot's of stuff. She can make copies, she's real good at cleaning, so she can clean the fridge and freezer in the kitchen, and a bunch of other stuff.

H: Okay. Now seriously...how old is she?

A: ...t-twelve..?

H: And her parents are making her pay for her brother's medical bills?

A: Well it's kinda half that and half her wanting to do it out of guilt and concern.

H: How much does she need?

A: Um...I'd say about $1200.

H: A'kay... Why don't you stop by my office on Monday, and I'll have everything taken care of. You'll just have to run it to the hospital. Sound good?

A: Wait, you're gonna have to spell this out for me.

H: I'm. Going. To. Pay. For. It.

A: Uh...no. I'm afraid I don't think I can let you do that.

H: You don't think you can let me do a lot of things. But, I always end up doing them.

A: Hayden, for once can you just talk to me? Not like I'm your personal stripper, or your assistant, or whatever! Just like I'm an equal coworker!

H: *Purrs* You sound cute when you yell at me.

A: *Hits counter top* Hayden!

H: *Sigh* Astrid, you sound...stressed. Are you alright?

I look at Crystal's room before slipping out into the hall.

A: No! I am not alright! I am a single woman, helping her sister raise her daughter as if she were my own! And on top of that, I have to be my bosses personal stripper at work! I can't tell anyone because of how much it might damage their image of me-!

I freeze as I see my neighbor staring at me in shock, jaw hanging open, eyes popping out of her head. "Can I help you, Ms. Caw?" I ask politely, putting my phone to my shoulder. She stares at me for a moment.

"You can see my psychiatrist," she says, handing me a card, while keeping distance between us, before going into her apartment. I hear the lock click before my cheeks burn with embarrassment. I then heard Hayden's voice saying my name through the phone and put it back to my ear.

A: *sigh* Yea.

H: I'll give your niece the money, but if it makes you feel better, you can do something for me.

A: *Cautiously* What?

H: Can you cook?

I thought back to my two months of culinary school. I couldn't stay, but the professor was very impressed with my skills. We spent a lot of time in the kitchen, and I loved doing it, but these days I couldn't cook because I didn't have enough money for the ingredients.

A: Uh...kinda? Why?

H: I'm bein' kinda cheap. Trying to throw a dinner party, can't cook, looking for someone who can.

A: *sigh* Okay. When is it?

H: Wednesday.

A: Okay. What's the menu?

H: We can talk about that later. Right now, all I want you to do the remainder of the weekend, is relax, and rest your sexy body for what I have planned on Monday. *Hissing* Got it?

A: *flinches* ...okay.

I hang up and clutch my phone in my fist as I go back in to see Crystal at the counter, leaning over a paper. "Mom, can you read this?" she asks, sliding it over to me.

Dear Victim,

I cannot express the guilt running through my veins. I'm so sorry I shot your leg, but I was scared and trying to protect my mother. I accidentally broke someone's leg and they said they'd either sue my mom or forget about it if I shot my leg or someone else's. My mom can barely support us, let alone a law-suit, and I was too much of a wimp to shoot my own leg. It was a leg for a leg situation. Again, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am! We can't take care of your entire bill, but we can give you most of the money. You must understand that my actions were those of a frightened, immature pre-teen who didn't know they had the option to say no...who didn't see another way out. From the bottom of my heart, times infinity, I am dreadfully sorry.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead. "Everything's gonna be alright," I tell her, even though I wasn't entirely faithful to my words.