EIGHT

Etsuko's and Ana's home wasn't far from yours, so you opted to walk there. With some casual clothing (you doubted it was a formal event) and the small container full of cookies, you were ready to meet the new addition to their family. The walk was calm, giving you some time to ponder and wonder how Etsuko's and Ana's new 'son' was going to be.

You had arrived to the small building hidden between two tall office buildings. Nothing about the apartment complex suggested that something odd or unusual was going on, which was true. The residents of the building were unique, but none of them were strange enough to draw some unwanted attention to the otherwise bland building.

Looking up to the second floor, where your dear friends where, you pressed the small button on the building, the one next to the name 'Etsuko'. It buzzed slightly, signaling them that you had arrived and was waiting for them to open the door.

You could hear the small 'clack,' meaning that the door had been unlocked. The door opened in front of you, a man standing tall.

"You're (Y/N)?" He asked, his voice deep and baritone. Both of you started to head to the swcomd floor, to the tiny apartment they lived in. How old was he exactly? You nodded meekly. Was he the boy man that Etsuko and Ana had opened their home to?

"I'm Elijah."

"Elijah," You started. "Are you foreign?"

You facepalmed mentally. Of course, he wasn't. If he was, why would he be in the Japanese system and not of the one were he was born?

"No," Elijah said sharply.

You knew it.

"How do you feel about your new parents?" You questioned, making a small attempt to start a conversation with him.

"They're. . . Bearable."

"Bearable?"

"Yes, Bearable."

". . . Oh."

He obviously trying to stop the conversation, but you tried to persist. Why end up on awkward terms when you were obviously going to spend much time with Elijah? You had spent more than half your time with the couple, after the death of your sister, and would refuse to stop going there just because a teen intimidated you.

"How old are you?"

"Nineteen. You?"

"Twenty-one. What are you planning to do?" You had decided that in order to keep the conversation going, you would have to ask questions.

"Planning to what?" Elijah questioned, knocking on the door that belonged Etsuko's apartment.

"You know, with school?"

"I don't know. Go to college, maybe. What do you do?"

"I work in Pearl House Cosmetics."

Mistake number one.

NOT EDITED
20180428