Chapter 5: The Night Before

The council concluded all too soon. They were disgruntled that they were forcibly superseded by the chain of events. But the fact that Keiko put her own life and the life of her child at risk in order to protect the village from the wrath of the Sand resonated with them and they decided not to punish her. Tsunade suspected that having the Kazekage himself tell them his wishes and that he would be displeased if they punished her for circumstances of no fault of her own had something to do with it

Not all of the council members agreed. "It's not as if the sand would pose any real threat to us," grumbled a disgruntled elder after Gaara had left them.

"If you remember elder, underestimating other villages led to my becoming Hokage," snipped Tsunade.

"I suppose you're right," he conceded.

Tsunade descended to the hospital ward out of habit and found Sakura finishing up on a patient as she wiped her forehead.

"Ah, Tsunade-sama," exclaimed Sakura. "You are up late."

"So are you. Kakashi squad moves out in the morning. You should be getting your rest. I can clean up," smiled Tsunade.

"Thank you so much," she bowed before depositing her gloves in the biohazard bin and heading to the washroom.

Team Guy and Naruto were already asleep. Kakashi and Keiko were the only others remaining awake.

"So, you're not going to take that Make-out series with you while I'm away, are you?" asked Keiko.

"Well there haven't been any new ones since the last one Naruto brought me," he replied with a grin.

Keiko rolled her eyes.

"I never thought I would say this because I haven't experienced it with any other woman, but I haven't really been anticipating the next book as usual to be honest. I've been so wrapped up in teaching, and in you..."

"If you say something smooth like 'you're my next chapter' I'm going to throw up before I kiss you," Keiko said.

"That's completely disgusting, way to ruin the moment," he said.

"You know, just something to remember me by," she snorted.

"I can't believe that your kind are revered on your world. The maturity level of a 10 year old," scoffed Kakashi jokingly.

"Oh please, like yours isn't. I guess I'm just too much like my cousin in some ways."

"Do you think one day when things are settled, if the Hokage-sama allows of course, we could visit your world? The baby could meet your clan," Kakashi said.

Keiko hesitated, "We could visit my world, but the only family I could safely see is Inuyasha. Many of the others would not take kindly to a Inu-Hanyō, or of me. I was outcast for wanting to protect humans, and Inu-Hanyō are shunned by Yokai and humans alike."

"I see," he said sadly. Like Naruto. Like Gaara.

Keiko dressed in the dark, save for the moonlight shining through the window. Kakashi watched her finish before pulling her to him.

"Please come back to me," Keiko whispered.

"I am that one that should be saying that. To both of you," he said placing a hand on her belly.

Keiko closed the door behind her and met Gaara in the street. Kakashi watched through the window as she approached him. Gaara looked up into Kakashi's eyes and tried to speak without words the typical manly 'I'll protect her' nod.

A fluffy cloud surrounded Gaara once again before they ascended into the night sky.