Chapter 6: And they're off!

Rock Lee and Guy were doing pushups on the bridge as Sakura, Naruto, Neji, and Tenten leaned against the railing.

"Guy-sensei," exclaimed Lee, "I will do 200 more pushups before this blade of grass can hit the ground!" He tossed a blade of grass in the air before dropping to all fours. "One, two, three, four..."

"That's it Lee! The springtime of youth resonates in each pushup," said Guy proudly.

Naruto rubbed his eyes lazily. "They never do stop, do they," he said.

"No," said Neji as he stared out over the river.

"It's about time!" shouted Naruto a Kakashi strolled up. "You were supposed to be here an hour ago!"

"Sorry, sorry," Kakashi waved, "I was up late making sure, er, making sure that the Kazekage left the village safely."

Naruto's face went flat, "Leaving the village safely? Isn't it once he's OUTSIDE the village that you have to worry? Besides, isn't Keiko-nee-san with him?"

Kakshi's face went red.

Lee jumped up and threw out a palm, "You never can be too careful. The enemy can be lurking behind every corner." Guy nodded enthusiastically in the background.

Sakura swayed. "Looks like I wasn't the only one up late," said Kakashi.

Naruto's face softened as he took a good look at Sakura's pale face. "Hey, are you ok Sakura?"

"I'll be fine," she said, "just a little tired. At any rate, hadn't we better get going?"

"Yea, you're right. Summoning Jutsu!" Exclaimed Kakashi. The Ninken appeared and Pakkun was scratching behind his ear.

"Hey Pakkun!" Said Naruto.

"Hey there, boy you've gotten big since I saw you last."

Naruto grinned cheesily.

"OK so here's the plan. I managed to get this scrap from the last time we fought Uchiha Itachi. We need to track him down so we can find out where the Akatsuki base is, and what their next move is, but we need to keep a safe distance so they don't know we're onto them. We need to avoid engaging so we can report back without them moving to a new location," said Kakashi.

"Right," they all replied. With that, they were off following the Ninken pack into the woods.