Chapter 10: Goodbye, Kakashi

It rained the day they gathered around the marble stone to say goodbye to Kakashi. Fitting really, thought Keiko. Kakashi was always fond of Cliché's. She reached her hand out to the stone once again where the names of the fallen were etched. This time her fingers ran over the words 'Hatake Kakashi.'

Water pooled into the indents. No one could tell the difference between the rainfall and her tears as it ran down the side of the stone as each crevice overflowed. Naruto and Sakura came up behind her. Sakura pulled her into a hug and Naruto put his hand on her shoulder. They had grown so much in only a few weeks since they set out on the mission, Keiko thought.

"Onee-san," said Naruto, "I really think Kakashi-sensei would want you to have this." He handed her Kakashi's headband.

She gripped it in her palm for a moment before whispering, "Thank you, Naruto."

They had been putting off the memorial due to the village being on high alert now that they knew for sure the Akatsuki was already three Jinchuriki closer to their goal. Keiko hadn't been able to bring herself to go back to her apartment in that time. She stayed in the woods as she did back on her world. She decided that she should really move back into a place in the village if she was going to continue living among them. But not there.

She found herself standing in front of it without really knowing where she was going. She looked at her door and instead pushed open Kakashi's. She pulled a crate towards her and started boxing his things. Buried in a drawer she found the Makeout series. She sniffed. With it she found a journal. That was curious. She never knew Kakashi to be one to enjoy doing any kind of paperwork let alone writing. Usually he used that as a cover to sneak out with her.

The first entry she flipped open to was titled "A beautiful stranger." Hmm, perhaps he was writing his own version of the Makeout series?

A beautiful stranger

Today we found the most beautiful creature in the woods. She has hair like starlight. She can't possibly be human. Maybe she's an angel? I guess we'll find out once they're done patching her up.

The Hokage-sama granted my release from the ANBU. After the next set of students goes through the academy, I'll be getting my first round of genin .

Ok, well not that weird for a dude, Keiko supposed. Kakashi was fond of his cliché's but usually in the form of a joke. He could be serious and tell her how much he loved her, but he never really gushed. She flipped forward through the book and started to read the next one:

My starlight

I have found the woman I'm going to marry. She's as fierce as a wolf and damned sexy. But she's also softened since she first came here. She's more kind, and gentle sometimes. Her laugh makes me feel things I've never felt. She's so beautiful, like starlight. She let me have her for the first time tonight by our oak tree. I wish it didn't have to happen the way it did. I wish this didn't have to be a secret. But I'm so glad it did.

Keiko closed the book. His words resonated in her head. My starlight. She looked at it hesitantly. She tapped it with her wand to conceal the words magically and then wrapped his headgear around it before storing it away inside her waistband. There wasn't much else in the room to pack. She left the crate on the bed and closed the door behind her. She looked up as she stepped into the street. She wanted her eyes to reach the stars but there were none to be seen as rain soaked her face.

Training, she thought. That's how she could best honor Kakashi.