Chapter 11: Plotting...again?

Weeks turned into a few months that had passed since Kakashi's death. Keiko flitted from squad to squad during their training, learning what she could. She was never assigned anywhere officially since she hadn't passed any shinobi ranks. Tsunade-sama seemed pleased to keep her as she was.

"Keiko, I know you want to learn and that's great, but I don't see the point at your age and sending you through the academy," waived Tsunade. "You have plenty of skills already and I think that you're already making fine progress watching the basics. You can already make a clone and do a substitution jutsu."

"I know, but I feel I would progress better if I started from the beginning," Keiko replied.

"It's really kind of a moot point anyway," said Tsunade. "Would you like to have saké with me?"

"Wh..what?" Keiko stammered, caught completely off guard.

"Some conversations are better over saké," nodded Tsunade wisely as she lifted the flap of a sign stepping into a saké shop.

After they were seated and had their first drink, Tsunade sighed. "I want you to know, that I fought very hard against this...this time around. And if you say no, I am going to have no hand in forcing you. Council be damned. After losing Kakashi and your child, this is the last thing you should be worried about."

Keiko raised an eyebrow curiously. "Now who are they marrying me to?" she asked as Tsunade downed the entire flagon of sake next to her.

They sat in silence for several minutes. Tsunade seemed to be wrestling with what to say next. Tsunade's face began to flush and she slurred, "Quicker witted than he ever was." Keiko didn't need to ask who "he" was. Tsunade downed another bit of saké before continuing.

"Gaara-sama," Tsunade hiccupped. "The council Hidden in the Sand noted that Gaara-sama took quite a liking to you, and despite his protests that he was going to be involved in the process if and when he ever married, when they put forth your name again he didn't raise a lot of objection."

"I see," Keiko said, setting her cup down on the table.

"I can't exactly tell those old geezers where to stick it," she swooned as she hiccupped again, "but you seem to be pretty good at it on your own."

"I will go," said Keiko quietly.

"Eh, what was that?" Tsunade said, putting a hand to her ear.

"I will go"

Tsunade's face sobered with shock. "Why?" was all she could think to say.

"I have a lot of good memories here. I'd like to keep them that way. Maybe making some new ones is what I need. Plus, maybe I can learn more to help us in the fight against the Akatsuki."

"Now don't be taking our hidden secrets to the bed of the demon in the sand," laughed Tsunade stupidly, wagging a finger.

"Now I know why Shizune keeps you away from this stuff," said Keiko.

-----

"Nee-san! Nee-san!" shouted Naruto as he ran to catch up to her the next afternoon. "What's this I hear about you going back to the Sand? Is team Kakashi on another mission?"

"No Naruto, I'm going there to stay. The council has decided that Gaara and I should still join our villages,"

"Even after everything that's happened?" Naruto said hotly.

"I think this time it's that they want to make their Kazekage happy. It was the Council Hidden in the Sand that put forth this request again as I understand."

"Still, that doesn't mean you have to go. I know Gaara will be good to you, but if you don't want to..."

Keiko cut across him, "This time I'm choosing to go Naruto." She smiled at him encouragingly.

Through the day the rest of her friends sought her out to say goodbye before Naruto appeared again with Sakura.

"We've been assigned to be your guard to the Sand," he said excitedly. "Leave it to me Nee-san, we'll have you safely there in no time, believe it!"

As they started through the woods, Keiko smelled a familiar scent. Surely, he wouldn't be that stupid.

"What is it Keiko-sama?" asked Sakura.

"Sakura, you don't need to be so formal," said Keiko, distractedly.

"But you're going to marry the Kazekage-sama. It's only right."

"You have been my family for more than ten years, honestly, there is no need for that," Keiko said. She continued, "it would seem Kabuto is curious what we are up to. That's the last thing we need to deal with Orochimaru on top of the Akatsuki. When we reach the Sand, I think that we should send word back to the Leaf to get a backup squad to follow you two back."

"I've dealt with Kabuto before," said Naruto defiantly.

"Yes, with great cost. You are a great shinobi Naruto, as are you Sakura," she said smiling to her, "but sometimes you have to learn when not to rush in. Sometimes it puts in danger those you are rushing in to protect, not to mention yourself. Sometimes you need to assess the situation. Every shinobi should be willing to lay down their life for their comrades, but if they planned on trying it out on each mission, that memorial would be getting fuller by the day."

Naruto thought for a moment, "I suppose you're right."

Keiko flew them up to the balcony of the Kazekage and reached for the door and it flew open. Sand grabbed them all and threw them to the floor inside the Kazekage's office. This time the sand gently lifted Keiko from the floor.

"Still being rude I see," said Gaara, half grinning as he reached out his hand for Keiko's.

"Still assaulting guests I see," said Keiko flatly.

Naruto jumped up as Sakura dusted herself off. "Gaara!" he shouted.

"I wasn't sure you'd come," Gaara said, still facing Keiko.

Keiko said nothing.

"Maybe she didn't come willingly," Gaara thought.

"Gaara-sama," began Sakura. Gaara startled at being addressed this way by her. "Can we borrow a hawk? We need to send word to our village to send a backup squad. Keiko sensed one of Orochimaru's henchmen following us."

"I see," he said, eyes narrowing as he thought. "Up the stairs to the left."

Sakura watched the hawk set off as dust blew across the horizon of the setting sun. Orochimaru . Does that mean Sasuke is nearby?