Chapter 25: The Battle

Keiko and Sasuke woke in Kabuto's lab. They were both restrained to metal slabs which were elevated slightly. She heard Sauke's rattle as he struggled against it.

"That won't do you any good," Kabuto grinned. "I have to admit, I've wanted to further study growing new vessels for Orochimaru-sama, but I haven't been successful thus far."

He leaned over a microscope and held a dropper to a petri dish. He took another set of Petri dishes and put them in a cryo freezer. "I have you for as long as I need you, but, just in case," he smiled.

"Don't worry, we don't plan to keep you there all day. We need you both to keep up your strength. You can't build uh...resources for my specimens if we don't keep you healthy."

Keiko growled, "You have no idea what it is you're messing with. Do you know how unpredictable messing with Yōkai DNA can be?"

"Science is always a risk," shrugged Kabuto. "I could find a way to force you to do it the traditional way, but without your cooperation I'm not sure how well that would work."

They heard rumbling coming from all the walls in the underground hideout. Kabuto looked up sharply.

"Unexpected guests?" asked Keiko, grinning menacingly. She chuckled deeply trying to keep up a bravado she didn't really feel at the moment.

Kabuto looked at her and a flash of annoyance crossed his face. He quickly recovered and turned it into an equally devilish grin. "I'll be back soon. Don't...go anywhere," he laughed.

Heh, if he only knew. After she was sure he was gone, Keiko broke out of her restraints. Sasuke looked at her in surprise.

"I've been working on a way to partition off my magic and chakra so the bonds wouldn't be able to leech my reserves," she explained. "That bastard doesn't know who he's fucking with."

Sasuke's eyebrows rose at her use of an expletive. He'd never heard her swear quite like that before growing up. She must be pretty pissed. Good. They were going to need their full strength to get out of this.

"I'm done playing games. I'm done holding back and being weak. Let's get out of here," she said turning to him.

They looked out from the entrance and saw Kabuto and Orochimaru taking off after some of the Akatsuki in the distance. When they thought the coast was clear, they crept out cautiously.

"Hmph, long time no see. I have to admit, Orochimaru is pretty good. After all, he was one of us," said Deidara dropping down from one of his creations. "Who would have thought that he and Kabuto would have been able to wipe you right under our nose?"

"But we're better," said Itachi, joining him. "I want to fight you both, but I'm afraid you're going to have to play with Deidara, little brother, until I'm done dealing with our prize."

Before Sasuke could advance on Itachi, Deidara was already making his move. Itachi was working on separating them so he could fight Keiko alone. Itachi sent a fireball between them which they both had to avoid. Keiko knew she couldn't meet his gaze. She watched Itachi's feet, trying to see where he would go next. Damnit, here she was again without the wand. She'd have to work with the skills she learned.

She hadn't used this skill in a while because she didn't find it particularly effective against many shinobi with their dodge abilities, but maybe it would be enough to throw him off. She summoned a demon sword from the air that was her birthright from her father; Zenmai, the royal fern. Her uncle had left similar swords for her cousins.

"Dance, 10,000 fronds," said Keiko. Thousands of leaves swirled into existence like many razors barreling towards Itachi.

"Hmm, you'll have to do better than that," he said.