The Prophecy

Ari had already shown Nathan around the pack's camp, and was now with him at a lake nearby in his wolf form.

      "So, what do you think of our pack? I hope you've taken a liking to it," Ari asked, laying down next to Nathan. 

      "It's cool and all, but I miss my old home and friends," Nathan replied, looking over the lake. 

      "Feeling homesick. I see, but you do realize that Amber is only doing this for your safety? I mean, she has taken a liking to you," Ari said. 

       Nathan nodded. "But still, it's hard to be torn from the life you knew and put in a completely different one," he muttered, picking at the grass by his side.

      "Well yes, I suppose that's true. I guess I have forgotten what that feels like," Ari said, his voice distant. His eyes seemed to glaze over, like he was reliving past memories.

      Nathan frowned. "Forgotten?"

      Ari shook his head as if to dispel the memories. "I too was once human, just like Amber's mother," he explained. 

      "Really?" Nathan asked, tilting his head at Ari's decidedly not-human form. Ari nodded solemnly.

      "How does a human become a wolf?" Nathan asked, intrigued. 

      "It begins with a bite mark given to you by your mate. Your mate must drip some of their blood onto the wound, then let it settle into your skin where the blood can mix. After the blood has mixed you have the power of a wolf inside your veins, allowing you to transform into your new half," Ari replied. 

      "Will I become a wolf like you one day?" Nathan asked, looking over at him. 

      "Well, I don't know. It's been a while since I've heard the prophecy," Ari said.

      "The prophecy?" Nathan asked, wondering what he meant. 

      "Don't you know about the prophecy of the young wolf and boy?" Ari asked. 

      Nathan only shook his head. 

      "Hmmm," Ari said. Nathan couldn't be sure since he was in his wolf form, but he seemed to frowning. "I remember being told of the story when I was just a pup, but I can't remember much of it. But I think I know of someone who can help. She's an old friend of mine; the prophesier of Novak Woods. Her name is Nova. She's old, but certainly reliable. She's the wolf you must see if you want answers. Follow me and I'll take you to her," Ari said. Nathan nodded and followed Ari as he ran through the woods.

       It wasn't much longer until they reached the shadowed area of Novak Woods. "How much longer until we reach Nova?" Nathan asked.

       "Just ahead. It won't be long, I assure you," Ari said as he trotted down a faded path. After a few minutes they emerged into a clearing, in the middle of which was a hill. Dug into the hill was a den that seemed to descend into the earth.

       A brown rabbit awaited them calmly in front of the hollow. Ari looked down kindly at the rabbit. "It's nice to see you're still around, Coda. Is Nova still around as well?" Ari asked him.

      Coda's nose twitched. "Oh, Ari, I'm so sorry. Nova died three months ago. Her son, Argo, has taken over and is just as knowledgeable."

      Coda's nose twitched again. "But he's no Nova. He's changed the rules. Now you must pay for the simplest of information, even his name. It's absurd," Coda said. 

       "I'm sorry to hear about Nova's death," Ari said softly. "But we still need information." And with that, he padded past the rabbit into the den. Nathan had no choice but to follow.