Chapter 3

I felt defeated

I felt defeated. I belonged to him but I still held the hope that  he might let me go.

The elevator opened but he closed the doors again. He let me go and he moved to face me.

"I know your uncle is staying here, so if you try to escape me again, your uncle will fall off the face of the planet, so will your friend Aurora-"

"Did you do a background check on me?" I asked glaring at him with the force of a glacier.

"Of course I did, I needed to know who you were," he stated coldly.

'Why?"

"Are you going to be living under my roof?"

"Yes, but-"

"I have a little sister that I love a lot, I don't want to see her get killed. I've had enough death in my life already."

"You are the Cuban Mafia boss, killing should be your favourite thing."

"Its not when you watched your father be killed."

I felt bad. He was only trying to take care of his sister. He accepted me, but he had a background check and he never questioned me. He chose to get to know me without using what someone told him.

But . . .

Here I was questioning him and arguing with him and he didn't even try to touch me. I felt ashamed. I was usually very polite, and shy. But when I am around him, he draws out the crazy latina in me.

My feet moved before I knew it. I stood only a couple inches away from him and I said, "Can you at least let me say goodbye to my uncle and my best friend Aurora?"

He tensed up at my proximity. He stepped forward and he whispered, "Only if you promise not to try and escape anymore."

I nodded and I gave him a grateful smile. I reached around him and opened the doors to the elevator.

As I exited Andrés suddenly grabbed my hand and said, "Don't take too long, Dante and I will be waiting out front."

As I kept on walking a question came to my mind. Who is Dante?

My question wasn't nearly as important as seeing my two loved ones.

I knocked on the door, and my uncle opened it and immediately embraced me.

"¡Esmeralda, como estas mija, hace mucho tiempo que no te he visto!"(how are you, its been a while since I last saw you!) my uncle exclaimed as he hugged me even tighter.

"I'm okay, how are you? How are businesses?"

"The hotels are up and running and everything is wonderful."

"That's wonderful, but I can only stop by for a little, have you seen Aurora?" I asked.

"Yes she is in the other room, but before you go, I got you a little something," he went to a drawer and he took out a box.