Chapter 15

It didn't seem like I had been away from him for such a long time

Simply being in his arms erased all the time we had been apart.

All the doubts that I had before seemed stupid and they left my mind for the moment.

He pulled me back to look into my eyes and I could see in his eyes that he wanted me to stay by his side.

He cupped my cheek and I leaned into his hand as if I were seeking warmth.

"I . . .," he seemed to not want to say what he was going to, "I can't have you leave like that again, because I don't think I could live through it."

"I thought you were the ruthless leader of the Cuban Mafia," I smiled, but I could see the pain in his eyes.

I reached up with my hand to touch his face, but he immedeatly caught it and pressed my palm to his lips and he gently bestowed a small, but meaningful kiss.

From behind us I heard someone clear their throat.

I turned and saw only a flash of Diana, before she had me in a tight embrace.

"Where have you been?" she demanded.

"I was visiting family, although you already know that," I grinned.

She glared at me, "You could have at least called me! I know you were upset with my brother, but that didn't mean you couldn't call me!"

"You didn't tell me you were keeping tabs on me!"

"You left me to suffer with my brothers, who were moping the entire time."

"Ah, yes, you suffered so, so much that you yourself couldn't get on a plane, or your brother's jet in this case, and fly over to us?"

Her face was blank for a moment then she said, "Actually, I never thought of that, but next time you guys run away-"

"No!" Max and Andrés yelled.

Diana and I flinched at how loud they were and we took a step back.

Andrés shut his eyes and hissed, "Don't even think of leaving again."

As he collected himself Max added, "What he meant was don't leave him because he is a big baby."

I laughed and I turned to Andrés, "Really? Is that why you don't want me to leave again?"

His eyes were clenched shut and he said, "No that is not why."

"Then why not?"

"Because."

"Because what?"

"Because I have my reasons."

"What reasons?" I was close to smacking him if he didn't tell me.