Chapter 25

Esmeralda

Esmeralda . . .

After we brought Diana back home, she had been under constant watch, never being left alone by neither me, Aurora, or Alejandro.

At first, she opposed the idea, but when I explained it to her, she didn't argue anymore.

She wanted her baby safe, and she knew she couldn't do it alone.

One night as it was my turn to watch over her, she turned to me.

"Esmeralda?" She asked quietly.

"Yes?" I responded.

"Was it a bad idea for me to come here? To want to keep my baby away from Dante?" She asked, tears in her eyes.

I was at crossroads with this one, "If you felt like it was a good decision then I'd say yes, but can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why would you want to keep him away from your baby?"

"He's not a good person," she whispered keeping her gaze on her lap, "he's in too deep, and he promised me that he wouldn't be. He's done things for the family that I don't want to even think about. He gets so angry sometimes, and he's hardly ever truly happy. I just don't want my baby around all of that."

In that moment, I understood something, something she might not have wanted anyone else to know

She wanted to leave Dante, yet she still loved him with all her heart and soul. She looked so lost and I felt upset with her.

How can one raise a child without the person they love right beside them?

"Have you guys tried? I'm sure that if you confront him he'd-"

"I tried!" She exclaimed, her tears spilling onto her cheeks. "I tried so hard! He says he is going to change and he never does. And Andrés is no help either, I tell him everything . . . I even told him about the time Dante hit me-"

"He hit you?" I asked her softly.

She nodded once.

"Why? Why would he do that? And why didn't Andrés do anything?"

"He gets very angry, and sometimes, when his anger mixes with his stress, he can't control it. He says he's seeing a therapist, but I think he's lying. Andrés doesn't like telling him to back off because that his friend, he's like another Max to him."

"He's not good for you, why don't you go to your mother? I'm sure she'd do something."

"We were very young and dumb when we met, but I just don't want to worry my mother when she had so many other important matters."

"You're her daughter, how much more important can those matters be?" I said to her as she avoided my gaze.

A soft knock sounded at the door and Aurora poked her head in.