Part 6.

"So Jade West, what's your favorite movie?" Beck asked over dinner at Nozu.

I loved sushi and was already pleased at where the night was taking us.

"It's a time between Captain Fantastic, Donnie Darko, Girl, Interrupted and Split" I replied before shoving a California roll in my mouth.

"Wow. I mean I've seen Donnie Darko and Girl, Interrupted. They're fantastic! Dark, but amazing... Kinda like you" I could see him blush as I felt my cheeks get warmer.

"I've never seen the other two though. We must watch them some time." He suggested.

"Yeah of course"

"Maybe we can watch one of them tonight at my place?" He seemed nervous, like he actually thought I might say no.

"I'd like that."

We spent the movie watching in awe as the child actors consistently delivered amazing performances.

I couldn't help but look away while Beverly confronted her father about the abuse she'd been put through.

Beck noticed out of the corner of his eye and reached over to grab my hand.

It felt right. Like nothing else in my life ever had. I was comfortable. And it appeared as if he was too.

"That was fantastic!" He said as we exited the theatre. "What did you think? Hold up to the book?"

"Oh for sure. I think the actor who played Beverly was particularly good." I responded. Still distant and processing all that had happened in the film.

"I can make a more intelligent and informed review in a second. I'm still processing" I said giving out a little laugh.

"Well, back to my place to watch one of your favorites right?" He paused. Worried. "That is, if you still want to?"

"Of course. Let's go"

Back at his place he set up the tv monitor hooked up to his laptop and started playing Captain Fantastic as we both lay down opposite each other on the bed.

"Are you cold?" He asked, noticing me shivering a bit under the blanket.

"I'm always cold, haven't you noticed by now?" I said, hinting at my generally cold demeanor.

"Very funny. Come lie down here" he said, gesturing next to him.

I moved over and lay down next to him. I hated being close to people. But this felt right. We watched the movie in silence until Beck turned to me, presumably to check I was still awake.

"I love this" he said. Referring to the film.

"It's brilliant right? I think the twins are the best. They perfectly encapsulate intelligence without being pretentious. In my opinion at least" I could talk for hours about characters and movies. It was my passion.

"Did you know that your eyes start to sparkle when you talk about something you love?" Beck asked, "I didn't think that was true until just now"

His eyes stared deep into mine, as if he was looking into the very essence of my being.

Before I realized what was happening he had leaned in and pressed his lips against mine.

This was not my first kiss. But God did it feel like it could have been. Nothing I'd ever experienced before could compare.

I felt comfortable.

I felt safe.