Part 11

I tried my best to find an outfit Beck's parents might actually like, settling on a sleek black dress, my doc Martens and some minimal eyeliner and mascara.
I must have been in front of my bedroom mirror for a while thinking about every possible outcome to this scenario. I could fuck this up so bad that even Beck wouldn't want to talk to me. But I was getting ahead of myself.

I took the bus to Beck's house so that I could have some time to think about what I was going to say. I had a feeling presentation would be everything to these people.

I met Beck outside his trailer and we walked in together.
"You must be Jade!" Beck's mother said sweetly, "call me Alison"
I shook her hand and followed as she lead us to what I presumed was the dining room.
"This is my husband Roger"
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Jade" he said standing up from his seat at the table with an outstretched hand.
"Where's Katy?" Beck asked, taking a seat next to me at the dining table.
"She's at a friend's, she'll be here later hopefully" Roger said.
"Katy is our youngest daughter," Alison explained, "she's our Beck's biggest fan"
Beck smiled warmly and placed a comforting hand on my leg.

"Jade, Beck told me you're a vegetarian, I hope you don't mind vegetable stir fry?"
I shot Beck a warm glance. I had no idea he'd remembered I was vegetarian.
"That sounds lovely, thank you Mrs Oliver"

Conversation seemed to go smoothly as the evening passed by. Beck was charming as usual, his parents were incredibly polite and well-meaning. I just didn't understand it. How could one family function so well?

"If you'll excuse me for a moment please, I'm going to fetch the desert" Alison got up from the table and made her way to the adjacent room.
"She's in good spirits today Beck, I'm glad you guys could have dinner with her like this." Roger said.
"I know Dad. I'm glad too."

Alison returned with a homemade apple crumble and the conversation was dropped.

"Well it's getting late, I think we should probably go soon so I can drop Jade off" Beck said standing up from the table.
"Oh don't worry, I'll take the bus" I responded, gathering my things.
"Nonsense, Beck will drive you" Roger insisted.

"Thank you all so much for such a lovely evening. The food was absolutely wonderful mrs Oliver. It was lovely meeting both of you."
"You're welcome over any time Jade" Alison said enclosing me in a warm embrace as I left.