Part 12.

Beck insisted on driving me home that night, despite my protest.
"Thank you for coming tonight," Beck said sweetly as we entered the car, "I knew they'd really like you"
I smiled, but it hardened quickly, as we approached my house.
"You okay?"
I nodded back. Looking down and avoiding eye contact with him.
He reached over and took my hand in his. His eyes met mine and I could swear it was genuine care he was feeling right then. It felt like he could see right through me.
I didn't say anything, but Beck nodded, turned the key in the ignition and began to drive us back the way we came.

I woke up in his bed, no sign of Beck anywhere. I reached for my phone in a panic to check the time before I realized it was the weekend, I.e. no school.

Before long the door to the RV opened and in walked Beck, two coffees and a brown paper bag in hand.

"Mornin'" he said in a faux southern accent.

He handed me a black coffee and sat down at the table searching around inside the paper bag.

"Well don't just sit there, come eat!"

I walked closer to see the breakfast he had so kindly sourced for us. Vegetarian burritos with a side of nachos and guac.

"It's 1 in the afternoon, I figured it was acceptable to just get lunch" he said smiling

"You read my mind, Oliver"

After we had finished our breakfast of champions, Beck had a lightbulb moment.

"I have a fantastic idea... if you're down for it?"
"What?" I asked, half intrigued and half anxious.
"Movie marathon day? I can make popcorn and get snacks?"
I smiled, "that sounds like heaven."

We each picked two movies we wanted the other person to see and watched all four right in a row. Sometime between finishing Thoroughbreds and starting Green Room, Beck turned suddenly serious. No longer making jokes about the names appearing on the title cards.

"Jade, can I ask you something?"
Oh boy. Here it was. He was gonna ask if I was safe at home, I'd lie. He's question it but not do much else and then feel guilty and stop talking to me.
I held my breath.
"Will you be my girlfriend?"