Chapter 7: The Next Day

Max's eyes slowly opened from her sleep. The morning sun seeped through her curtains. She yawned and sat up. Max stretched her arms out and she stood up from the bed. She walked over to the curtains and opened them. She shielded her eyes from the bright light and saw that it was lightly snowing out.

So beautiful... I wish Chloe could see this.

Max smiled at the snowy weather outside and sighed happily. Today was going to be a good day. And in two weeks, she would be in her girlfriends arms again. Something she was just dying to feel. Chloe's strong love. How protective she was of Max. She was looking forward to seeing Chloe again.

Max heard her door suddenly opening. She turned and saw her mother poke her head in. "Morning, mom." Max said with a soft smile. Vanessa stepped into the room and softly closed the door behind her. She approached Max and placed her hands on her shoulders.

"Maxine... we need to talk." Vanessa told her. "Okay?" Max said questionably. Vanessa started leading Max to her bed. "What are we doing?" Max asked. "Sit down, okay?" Vanessa said. Max obeyed and sat down on the bed. Vanessa slowly sat beside her daughter and wrapped the blanket around Max.

Vanessa looked into Max's eyes full of remorse.

"Maxine... I'm so sorry." She said. Max's heartbeat started picking up. Her chest started feeling heavy. "Mom, what is it? You're scaring me." Max said. Vanessa looked into Max's eyes. Keeping her stare for a moment. She finally said, "Sweetheart..." Max lightly shook her head. Scared out of her mind.

"Chloe was killed... last night..." Vanessa said.

Max's eyes widen. Her breathing picked up. Her heart was pounding. "What?" She questioned with a head shake. "Chloe was shot last night. She bled out immediately." Vanessa said. Max shook her head. She felt chills electrocute throughout her body. "No." She said. "No. No. No!" Max said and buried her face in her hands. "No! No!" She said again as she started crying. "I'm so sorry, Maxine." Vanessa said as she wrapped her arms around her daughter and cried with her. "I'm so sorry, baby girl." Vanessa said as Max cried in her arms. "She can't be dead. She can't be." Max cried. She started gasping. "How can she be dead?" Max said. "I'm sorry, Maxine." Vanessa told her.

"What have I done?" Max said.

"This is all my fault." She added. "No, sweetheart, this is none of your fault." Vanessa told her. "Yes it is, mom." Max said. "I'm the one who told her she should stay in Arcadia Bay. If only I let her come with me..." Max couldn't finish and she started crying again.

"Maxine. Look at me." Vanessa said. Max looked into her mother's eyes. "This isn't your fault. Okay? No one's blaming you." Vanessa told her. She held Max in her arms as she mourned.

Ryan heard Max's cries from downstairs. He shut his eyes tightly and ran a hand through his hair.

Max looked at her mother. "When did it happen?" She asked. "Last night around twelve a.m." Vanessa said. "I received a call from the Arcadia Bay police department. They said Chloe was in a relationship with you and said I should tell you in the morning."

"How's Joyce?" Max questioned.

Vanessa shook her head. "I don't know." She said. "I have to go back." Max said. "I have to." She repeated. Vanessa nodded. "I understand. We'll help you pack. Okay?" She said. Max nodded slowly. "I'll let you be alone. Call me if you need me, sweetie." Vanessa said. Max nodded and watched her mother leave the room.

Max planted her face into her hands and started crying. Her heart was shattered into a million pieces. Chloe meant everything to her. And now she's gone. Max couldn't ever feel the touch of Chloe's arms around her again.