Chapter 4: The Reminder

"Hey hippie." Chloe greeted on the phone. Max smiled at Chloe's choice of words. "Hi Chloe." She said back. "Can't survive one day in Seattle without me?" Chloe said. "Oh shut up, can't I call my girlfriend and talk to her?" Max said. Chloe laughed.

"Permission granted." She said.

"So listen. I told my parents about us." Max said. "And...?" Chloe questioned. "They were very happy for us!" Max told her. "Oh, really?" Chloe said. "Yeah, and they want to see you and Joyce sometime." Max said.

"As long as step-crack doesn't come along, I'm down." Chloe said. Max smiled. "Cool. Maybe you can come in the summer." Max said. "Oh, you just want to see me in my swimsuit, don't you?" Chloe teased. Max scoffed. "God, you're just so perverted." She said with a laugh. "You know it." Chloe told her.

"Anyway, how are you Chloe?" Max asked. Chloe sighed. "I'm fine. But I just wish we had some more time together." She said. "I know, me too." Max told her. "But you'll be fine." Max said. "Will I?" Chloe questioned. "Oh, come on, Chloe." Max said.

"It's not like you're gonna die." She said.

Chloe groaned and said, "Without you? I just might." Max chuckled. "Yeah, okay." She said. "Anyway, Chloe. I gotta go." Max told her. "Why? Is there some cute boy waiting outside for you?" Chloe questioned. "Oh yeah, he's very handsome." Max said.

Chloe tightened her jaw. A glare formed on her face. "What?" She questioned tensely. Her teeth clenched together.

Max chuckled and said, "Oh you're so sweet, Chloe. I love you." Chloe sighed with relief. "I love you too. Please don't do that, you scared me." She said. "Hehe, sorry. It's actually just a few old friends I made in Seattle." Max told her. But Chloe was silent.

"Chloe?"

"Just make sure that they don't try to... you know..." Chloe said.

Max thought it was sweet that Chloe was still protective of her even though there was a highway between them. She was also flattered that she meant that much to Chloe.

"Don't worry, Chloe. I'd give the whole world for you." Max told her. Chloe smiled confidently. "You'd better." She said.

Once they said bye, they hung up. Chloe put her phone in her pocket and slouched in her chair. Happy that Max called her. She sighed happily and stood from the chair and walked out her room.

"Good morning, Chloe." Joyce greeted. "Feeling better?" She asked. Chloe responded with a silent shrug. "I know it hurts, Chloe. But you'll see each other in two weeks." Joyce said. Chloe nodded. "Do you want something to eat?" Joyce asked. Chloe shook her head. "Nah, I'm not hungry." She said. "I'm going out." Chloe told her.

"Chloe, wait." Joyce called out but Chloe didn't respond. Joyce watched as Chloe closed the door behind her. She sighed and put her hands on her hips. Slowly walking back into the kitchen. She was worried that her daughter wasn't in a good place after her separation from her girlfriend.

As Chloe walked to her truck, her phone started ringing. She took it out and saw the familiar caller ID that was Frank Bowers.

"Aw shit..."

She answered the call and raised it to her ear. "Hello?" She said. "Chloe. We need to talk." Frank told her. "Uh... about what?" Chloe questioned him. "Are you fucking serious? Where's my money, Chloe?" He said. "Money?" Chloe asked him. "Goddammit, you kids annoy the hell out of me." Frank said. "The money, Chloe. Where is it?" He said.

"Look, can we maybe talk about it?" Chloe said. "I can meet you somewhere." She told him. He was silent for a few moments. But then he responded. "Fine. You better have a good solution to this." He told her. "Yeah, whatever." Chloe said. After agreeing on the location they would meet, they hung up.