Chapter 33 - Welcome to France

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall – Chapter 33 – Welcome to France

A/N: I have absolutely no knowledge of the French language, and as such, I am not going to attempt to use it in this story, because I would butcher it terribly. I will be making an attempt at incorporating some French culture into the story, though. I have done some research and will hopefully be able to acceptably accomplish that. If I get something terribly wrong, I apologize in advance and meant no disrespect.

"What do you mean I've got to compete?" Harry replied as his eyes bulged out. He was staring at the small mirror he was holding in disbelief as he quickly made his way to a private corner of Ravenclaw tower. "How can you have a fourth champion in a Triwizard tournament? How could I have even entered?"

Aunt Minnie's face only looked paler as she explained. "I'm afraid we don't know how it happened, Harry. The first three champions were selected normally. Cedric Diggory is Hogwarts' champion, by the way. The Goblet of Fire, which I told you and Brianna about, produced a fourth name before the flame died down – yours."

Harry's heart started to beat a bit faster as he contemplated the meaning of that. "Which name?" he whispered.

"Harry McGonagall."

The Boy-Who-Lived sighed in relief. "At least whoever did that doesn't know..." He didn't need to finish that statement. "But how am I bound to compete? Isn't there some sort of..."

"It is your handwriting, Harry. I'd recognize it anywhere, and that is your legal signature."

"Where did they get my signature!?" he yelled.

"We don't know, but it is genuine. I'm sorry, Harry."

"What if I tell them to stuff it?!" he lashed out. "Tell them I don't want to be part of that bloody tournament! What are they gonna do, arrest me?"

Minerva solemnly shook her head. "No, they can't arrest you, b..."

"Then that's what I'll do!" Harry declared.

"Don't interrupt, Harry," his aunt admonished. "You are bound by magic itself."

"What are you saying, Aunt Minnie?"

"If you do not participate, the magic of the Goblet of Fire will exact a penalty from you."

"What sort of penalty?"

"We don't know exactly. It could turn you into a muggle. It might even kill you. The point is that it will be severe."

"Is there anything you do know exactly?"

Aunt Minnie took a deep breath. She was getting annoyed at her nephew's rudeness, but she did understand the situation and was cutting him some slack. "We know that you have to compete, and that a representative of the Ministry of Magic will be at Hogwarts tomorrow afternoon to give you a portkey. You're excused from Hogwarts classes, of course, so you can pack. You'll be spending the rest of your fourth year here at Beauxbatons. I also have to tell you that the first task will be on November 24th and you're supposed to face it without having a clue what you're facing."

Harry's breathing was getting heavy. "Terrific." He then looked thoughtful for a moment. "What about Hermione?"

"I'm afraid that she won't be able to join you for the most part, although she might be able to attend actual Tournament events."

Running his hands through his dirty-blond hair, he replied, "I guess I'd better go talk to her."

"Yes. You should tell your sister as well. I'll be explaining the situation to Professor Flitwick."