Bonding(9)

How about something different:
Jesse's POV
Something wasn't right with Hillary.

Ever since she got home from school yesterday, she's been quiet and closed off, and Niall told me she was different at school today. I'm very worried. Last time she was like this, I she locked herself in her room for months. I never learnt why she did that, but I interpreted  it had to be a major problem. I wanted to help my little sister, I needed to. I already lost my parents, I can't lose my sister. I'd be lost without her. I had a plan just to talk to her, maybe make her smile. I wasn’t going to force her tell me anything. Not yet.

Grandpa was upstairs and Granny was cooking dinner. Hillary was in her room. I knocked on the basement door and waited. Hillary opened the door with a scared and confused look on her face. "Hey, sis. I was wondering if I could...you know, hang with you down here?" I said. Hillary hesitated and tensed up, but let me come downstairs. I quickly went down and sat down on Hillary's bed. She sat on her hanging chair. "So, how's school going?" I asked. "Hillary shrugged. "Same as every day?" I asked. Hillary nodded. "How's Niall doing?" I asked. "He's fine" Hillary said.

I got her to say something! That's a good sign. "Have you made anymore friends?" I asked. Hillary shook her head. "How's the newbies going?" I asked. "Liam's an Athlete, Zayn's an Artist and H-H-Harry's a...a...a" tears sprung to Hillary's eyes and she looked away from me. "Hey, hey, hey" I said and kneeled down in front of her, gripping her hands in mine. "It's okay. You're okay. Everything is alright" I said, trying to soothe her. "No, Jesse, everything is not alright!" Hillary said as tears fell. "How? How is everything not alright?" I asked.

"I don't want to talk about that" Hillary yelled. "Hey, easy. It's alright, we won't talk about that if you don't want to" I said in a soothing tone. I let go of one of her hands and wiped her tears away. Hillary began to stop crying. "I'll change the subject…. Um, do you remember the time Grandpa and Granny went away for a week when you were 6?" I asked. "Granny hired a babysitter to watch us" Hillary asked. "Yeah, that's right" I said.

Hillary smiled. "You convinced me that our babysitter was a troll that came to eat me" Hillary said and I laughed. "Then you ran next door one night and didn't come home until the morning with Niall" I said. "He stayed with me because he said he would protect me" Hillary said. "But he got scared when I said the tomator soup was people's blood and you two spend the rest of the week in your room" I said. Hillary and I laughed.

"We were special children growing up" Hillary said. "We? You were special! I was fine" I sarcastically said. Hillary pretended to be shocked and shoved me to the floor. "You so were special! You never went in Granny's car without your blanket 'Softie' and Reggie the teddy bear until you were 10 years old!" Hillary said. "I wasn't 10, I was 11!" I said. "Like that's any better!" Hillary said.

"You couldn't sleep without a nightlight until you were 12!" I said, pointing at Hillary. "Granny has photos of you and I playing tea party" Hillary said. "You used to be afraid of the toilet flushing!" I said. "Only when I was trying to sleep! The toilet pipes are directly above my bed!" Hillary argued back at me, pointing up towards the ceiling. "You never stopped crying until you had your unicorn until you were 7!" I said and my smile instantly dropped. Hillary frowned too.

"wait, what?" Hillary whispered. Oh, shit! She never knew the entire story of how Mum and Dad died, and she couldn't remember because she was only 2 at the time. "Did that happen, that night?" Hillary whispered. The door opened up and Granny came down the stairs. "Jesse, darling, there you are. Your Grandpa needs help upstairs. Oh, and Hillary, dear, Harry is here to see you" Granny said and went back upstairs. Hillary tensed up at the mention of Harry. "Hey, Hills, I can send Harry away if you don't want to talk to him" I offered. "No. Send him down here. I call you down here if I need you, I promise" Hillary said.