Home

It was a nice fall day in Wisconsin. The weather was wonderful. Birds were chirping, wind was blowing, but that didn't make this week sound any better. This week was Wisconsin's test. To make things even worse, my section(1 of 7 parts of Wisconsin) was tomorrow. I tried to trick myself into being ready, but I still was not prepared. The mirror in front of me showed an image of a 15 year old with brown messy hair (I had just woken up ). I was skinny, but strong enough to carry myself through. This had been my second time in the test. One week I had to be in that...hell. All my nightmares were about this, and then it became reality. I wished that I could have more time; but time was expensive, and we couldn't afford it. It didn't matter anyway.  With me being 15, I had three more tests. So why did it matter then, for me to get more time? I was so afraid of what might happen. It wasn't human...what they did to us. They pushed your body and soul to the limit. It's not right.

"Morning, sunshine," Mom said. A forced smile was put on her face, but I could see her struggling to hold it. My mom was everything to me. She was the person that kept me motivated. She was also, the only family I had left. My father left us to fight with the rebellion. He had reason to, but my mom was only 18 at the time. She had left me without choice. The government made her a soldier. That's what they do now, but you know that. 

"Morning mom, you look amazing," I replied. Mom had long, shiny, blond hair that glistened in the sun. If I could have stayed forever, I would. Especially after Sarah died. She was too young to die. There wasn't even a body to bury. I'm still afraid to go into that test and see her body on the ground. "Mom, it's tomorrow. I...don't want to go. Not after what they did to Sarah. Mom, I wish Dad was here."

She looked at me with worrying eyes. I went up to her and hugged her. "I promise you..It will be okay," Mom whispered into my ear as she stroked my hair. Her voice was muffled from the rain outside. Only to make things worse, there was a knock at the door. She started to cry more. "I-it will be okay." I could hear her voice quiver. The knocking quickly turned into pounding. "U.S. Officials, open the door will ya!"

That was the last time I saw my mom. The last time I heard her voice, her ever so reassuring voice. They took me to the truck. I tried to push on the ground, but the mud was too slippery.  I saw my friends in there too. It was at that point that I realized everything was gone. The car started to drive away and all I could hear was, "Michael! Oh God no! My son!" Then, my mom's voice slowly faded away. Then, I knew my life was over. I would start the test the next day.

This was just the beginning.

If you liked this chapter, feel free to vote, comment, or follow for more! :)