The group

The sudden change gave me a headache. Light turned to darkness. All I could see was a forest. My team, or group, was right beside me. I couldn't see any sign of challenges ahead. In fact, I couldn't see anything ahead. We were in the starting challenge. "Okay, we need a team leader. Someone strong and can carry the team to the end." Said one of the teens I didn't know. He had red short hair, with a scar on his check. I couldn't shake off the feeling that he wasn't trustworthy. Everyone looked at him with a questioning/angry look.

"You're thinking about team leaders in a time like this?" Said a girl in a blue shirt. I looked at them both with an eyebrow raised. "If anything, we should at least know each other's names." I pointed out. They all looked at me.

"You're right. My name is Lucas Colden. That girl in the blue shirt is Kayla Harrison. Last is Orion Peterson." Lucas Informed. He didn't specify who Orion was. I guessed it was the only other guy there. Orion was the person who seemed disloyal. My friends looked at them. Kayla had long black hair. She looked depressed. "Nice to meet you Lucas. I'm Alex Davis and that is David Pierce." Alex replied.

Orion looked at me. "Hey slick-hair, what's your name?" He questioned. I looked back him with a deadly stare. "Michael Trevor" Just that one comment. All it takes for me to raise my suspicions. I turned away from Orion. Everyone stood there quietly. "Well, I vote me. Who wants to run against me?" Orion taunted.

No one said anything.

Orion was a tough looking guy. Lucas was small like Alex. Not surprising that Lucas looked afraid of Orion. Everyone looked afraid of Orion. All except David. "I should be the leader." David answered. Which makes sense considering David is tough too. Orion and David could be twins, but they can't. The difference between them is, David is a good person.

"Okay then, who votes David?" Alex, David, Kayla, and I raised our hands. Orion clutched his fist. "Alright, I guess it's me." David smirked.

We all followed David to a giant tree. This place was a forest. Describing it as a forest at night is wrong. It is a dark forest, with a purple tint to it. Colossal trees surrounded us. Since this was a pocket-world, it was also enormous. So it is hard to get to the end. Which I forgot to mention. There is an end to the world. So you don't have too stay for a month. It isn't meant to be there. Most rebels or test escapees got through there. If you survive the month, they get you back. My father found the end. They think he is dead. To think that they don't know for sure is creepy. I mean, they might not check for bodies here. So a lot of dead bodies can be on the ground. How do I know my father made it? Well he was planning his escape the whole time. I never saw my father before. He left when my mom was pregnant.

Do I blame him? No. He left for a good reason, but it still wasn't enough. That is why I can't join the rebellion. I can't leave my mom alone. Especially now that she is sick. We made a plan to meet at this place. This is where we would stay. "First challenge is at dawn. Since we are in the dark forest there is no way of telling day from night. We also don't know what the challenge is. Everyone needs to get mentally and physically prepared." David instructed.

The group stayed there for now. We all had shifts. Kayla and Me went to get food and water. Alex and Lucas got wood. Orion and David did heavy lifting (which is building the shelter). Now everything was in order. Alex climbed a tree to see ahead. "Hey guys, I see light!" He yelled. Everyone gathered by the tree. "What color is it?" David asked. We waited in suspense. "White!" Alex replied. Oh god no. White light and a forest. We heard a loud noise. That can only mean one thing. "Lightening" I mumbled.

Then I saw fire.

If you liked this chapter, feel free to vote, comment, or follow for more! Your votes and comments tell me that people read the book, which makes me want to write more. :)