Chapter Nine

Annie's mind was fraying, but it wasn't Andy's fault she was in this mess

Annie's mind was fraying, but it wasn't Andy's fault she was in this mess. No, this was all her doing. She'd been the one to screw up their relationship by believing what his mother had told and showed her. How could she forgive herself? "I'm so sorry Andy," she whispered as though he could hear her.

She silently vowed to make it up to him. Somehow. Biting her lip, she pulled herself together. She made a makeshift bed on the couch for Reon before going into the kitchen to prepare sandwiches.

Andy stopped his restless pacing and stood in front of the large glass window in his bedroom. He didn't want to think about all the things Annie had been through with her pregnancy. He hadn't asked about that. He'd been too stunned and angry to do more than yell at her. But his feelings----his crushed heart could wait.

He had to keep them both safe while he figured out who was trying to extract money from him. And threatening their lives. Now, as the hairs on the nape of his neck lifted with dread, Andy wished he knew where to look for clues. He hoped Gregg had something for him. He sighed, trying to throw off those thoughts. He took a couple of deep breaths before leaving the safety of his room.

Andy must have seen the make-shift bed she'd made because he called out to her from the living room. "Annie you guys could use the second bedroom." Her heart skipped a couple of beats just at hearing his voice. He didn't sound angry; that was good. Wasn't it? So why in the heck she felt so nervous? Her hands shook and sweat dotted her forehead.

Come on, Annie girl, get a grip of yourself!

She dried her hands on the kitchen towel and picked up the two plates from the counter. She took a deep calming breath and walked into the living room. Here goes nothing.

What she saw when she walked in made her jerked to a stop. She was stunned. Her eyes filled with tears and her hands began trembling. Oh God, how many times would her heart break in this lifetime? Andy was speaking to Reon in low tones and running his fingers from his little head to his diaper-clad bottom. She cocked her ears, listening to what he was saying to their son. The only thing she heard was: 'I'm so sorry little guy. I'm sorry I wasn't there when you were born. I---'

"Annie?" She jumped, nearly dropping the plates. Oh, sh--er crap. He'd caught her eavesdropping on the conversation he was having with his sleeping son.

"Y-yes, I-I made a sandwich for you," and she pushed the plate towards him as he walked toward her. Gawd! She was stuttering like a bloody fool. He took both plates from her hands and placed them on the table.

"We need to talk Annie." She didn't look at him at first. But when she did, he wanted to look away. Her eyes were full with such anguish that it nearly broke his heart despite the betrayal he felt. He had an overwhelming need to protect her and his child, to shield her and their little boy from future danger. A surprise emotion was nagging at him but he couldn't quite identify what it was. He pulled her into his arms to hug her, feeling her soft curves against him.

Annie didn't move a muscle and she didn't utter a word.

"There's a lot of hurt in the past for both of us. So much regret. Sorrow and lies." Now, that we are both going through these life-changing situations, we have to work together to protect our son."

She looked up at him in surprise and her heart did a happy dance when he said, 'our son'. He stared down at her, his eyes locked onto her. And when he lowered his head toward hers, she started to move away. But then his lips touched hers, ever so gently, brushing softly across them. Her breath caught and passion blasted through her body.

He pulled away and shoved his hands into his pocket. He cleared his throat. "I have no idea who have been sending those notes. But I'm beginning to believe it has to be someone who knows both of us. Who also knew that we were together two years ago. They knew about Reon too. Are you sure you didn't tell anyone else that you were pregnant before you left?"

Annie tried to think about that night she left, "I don't have any family there anymore. And the only friend I had, she moved while we were still together. No, I didn't tell anyone else, except your parents."