Chapter Twenty Five

“What did you find Louie?” Julian asked

“Nothing. The place was ransacked: chairs, wall, mirrors, and the beds were all destroyed. Whoever did that was one angry son of a bitch,” Louie snapped.

They were outside of Gregg's house pooled in the back of a black van listening to Louie’s report. From the look on the young man’s face when he entered the van Andy knew deep down something wasn’t right.

Louie was fuming. His sweat-sheened face screwed up like he swallowed something bitter.

“What do you think happened here?” Julian asked looking at him for answers.

“I’m betting it’s those same bastards that kidnapped your family,” Vane growled.

“Why would they kidnap Gregg’s wife? This makes no sense.”

“Kyle.” Andy’s soft tone silenced the men for a few seconds.

Andy thrust his name so far from his mind he wished he could forget it completely. Gregg’s call history was proof Kyle had everything to do with what has been happening.

Kyle had to be the reason behind Gregg’s betrayal. That had to be it. Andy was so confused, all he wanted to do was find Annie and their son. He prayed no harm would come to them because if they were he didn’t know what would become of him.

“I think he sent his men to abduct Gregg’s wife,” Julian said.

“Why?” Louie asked glancing at their faces.

“You’re a slow one,” Vane mocked.

Louie scowled at him and flip him off. He mumbled something intelligible under his breath.

“To get Gregg to bring the money to him. It worked and Gregg betrayed us,” Andy said.

“In the worse way possible. He could have told us; we would have helped in any way we could.”

“Yes, he could have, but he didn’t.” Julian stared at a misty-eye Vane.

“You think I don’t know that!” Vane shouted.  Veins bulging around his temples.

Andy knew it took a lot of willpower for Vane not to reach across and throttle Julian.

“I lost my best friend—my closest friend. He—he didn’t have to let those men die—such gruesome deaths.” Vane continued. He cleared his throat to clear the hoarseness from his voice. “Nix was unrecognizable—his face—something sliced it clean off his head. What are we going to say to his little girl? She’s only six years old,” Vane whispered.

Andy’s heart squeezed at the thought. Words were lost on him for he knew what Gregg did was unforgivable. Andy felt responsible for their deaths. Guilt weighed heavily on his shoulders. What did he ever do to Kyle? Deep in his mind, he knew he didn’t have all the facts and maybe Kyle was innocent.